Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Fan isn't coming on, temp gauge sits normal

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 06:03 PM
Default Fan isn't coming on, temp gauge sits normal

So I have finally finished my new d15b7 after 1000s of issues. I'm waiting on a new iacv to come in, should be here tomorrow. My next issue is that the fan isn't turning on, but my temp gauge inside isnt going over regular operating temp. I dont have an a/c system in the car(never worked so took it out.

I have the regular size radiator, no a/c components next to it. Is there a plug on the a/c side that needs to be plugged up?

The thermostat is relatively new, I only had it for a few months in the old engine. Is there a specific sensor I need to change?

Part numbers, pictures, any advice is greatly appreciated. I have been without my car for half a year, and I'm ready to drive again!

Thanks,

Trey

Old 10-05-2011, 06:07 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Since the gauge doesn't go above normal, where is the problem? It takes a long time of idling before the fan eventually comes on. You can test the fan system by unplugging the fan switch on the thermostat housing and jumpering the wires in the plug. The fan should now start immediately when the key is turned on. This tests everything except for the switch of course.

The A/C system is entirely separate. The condenser sits beside the radiator and has its own fan. Since they don't share an air flow like most other cars do, the A/C never activates the radiator fan like most other cars do.

Last edited by mk378; 10-05-2011 at 06:10 PM.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:10 PM

Well, We've run it through the neighborhood a few times, and its not kicking on. I was thinking a possibility of something causing the gauge to sit regular, but read wring? I'm not too sure to be honest.

This is really the first time I've done major engine work. I'm just trying to make sure that I haven't missed anything or messed anything up.

Old 10-05-2011, 06:17 PM
Recognized HCF Member

When the car is moving at any speed at all, that forces air through the radiator and you really don't need the fan. It's only for when the car is idling or crawling in heavy traffic.

One reason for unsteady idle is air in the cooling system. Next time the engine is completely cold, take off the radiator cap and make sure it is full to the top.

Old 10-05-2011, 06:18 PM

I know this, but I would still like to know that it is working. I live in a pretty busy area and traffic stops quite frequently.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:48 PM

Alright, pretty much got the idle problem fixed, but in low rpms it will still fluctuate unless the timing is advanced on the dist.

Also, I'm throwing an error code 4, which is crank shaft sensor? What causes that???

Thanks,
Trey