Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

First start of the day with a low fuel tank level

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 10:54 AM
Default First start of the day with a low fuel tank level

I am new to this forum and have a question for anyone who can answer please. I have a 1996 Civic hatchback. For a while now I have noticed that on the first start of the day, especially when the tank is low, the car turns over about 3 times as hard and when it finally starts, it runs rough for about 5 to 8 seconds. I have replaced the fuel filter and put dry gas through it, but it still is doing it. I think it may be the fuel pump and/or the check valve that is in the fuel pump. Any suggestions?

Old 09-22-2006, 10:59 AM
Laced with Sarcasm
Default RE: First start of the day with a low fuel tank level

Start with basics.. When was the last time it had a tune up? New Plugs, wires, etc?

How many miles are on it? Have you ever tried seafoam?

Also, this is the wrong section, moved to general tech help

Old 09-22-2006, 04:52 PM

If its only on cold startups after the car sits for while, and then runs rough for a while and then ok, check your spark from the distributor if the plugs and wires dont do the trick. Sometimes when the ignitor goes it doesnt send the proper voltage when the car is cold and will cause a rough start and heavy idle for a bit. And by the way 98 percent of the time a fuel pump just goes completely, or works, it usually doesnt get clogged....try turning your key to the on position then off about 2 or three times before starting it to prime the fuel pump and see if it still gives you trouble....if so check the spark/dizzy

Old 09-22-2006, 08:28 PM
HCF Member

so many here seem to replace the ignitor only to find out that it is some other problem in the dist.
think i would just do the entire dist.

Old 09-23-2006, 11:18 AM
HCF Member

When my 96 is on E it will start hard. If I prime it like metioned above it takes care of the problem.

Old 09-23-2006, 03:02 PM
Recognized HCF Member

definatly give her a tune up and run some seafoam thru the motor and gastank....
id run the sea foam, half in ruffly half a tank of gas and half thru the vacume hose on the fuel rail... let the gas go down low then fill up the tank and change your oil, oil filter, plugs, wires.... typical tune up stuff...... ive what ive heard seafoam can be ruff on the plugs so i wouldnt run it with some good plugs... just get the realy cheap ones if you have some nice ones.
id be preaty sure youll feel a difference.....

Old 09-23-2006, 07:10 PM
HCF Member

https://www.hondacivicforum.com/m_269216/tm.htm

Old 09-30-2006, 10:08 AM

Liebers19's idea has worked for me. My 99 EX also has the same symptom as yours. Turning the key on for a couple seconds until the fuel pump stops running, then off and back on, etc. allows the fuel pump to build up enough pressure at the injectors. Then turn the key past On to Start and the engine will start within a second or so and run smoothly.

I think a near-empty tank means a large volume of air inside - which cools down and contracts overnight. The fuel pressure regulator allows some pressure to leak back into the fuel tank. Does this mean a defective fuel pressure regulator, or some other device in the fuel system? I don't know. Your idea of a check valve after the fuel pump seems reasonable, too.

It seems to be a common problem so maybe there has been a TSB on it. Not every owner would hit upon the technique that has worked for Lieber and me.

I don't think it has anything to do with the ignition system. The problem only occurs with a very low tank and after a long cool-down.

Old 09-30-2006, 10:20 AM
Recognized HCF Member

well if it only happens on a very low tank i got a easy fix for ya
dont let the tank get that low.LOL

Old 09-30-2006, 04:21 PM
HCF Member

heard about this happening once to a guy - he owed a dodge.
turned out to be fixed by replacing the fuel pump.

Quick Reply: First start of the day with a low fuel tank level