Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Fixing alternator, and changing belt.

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 07:11 AM
Default Fixing alternator, and changing belt.

My alternator finally went bad.A friend of mine said it's not a hard repair so, I'm planning on doing the repairs my self, and while I'm at it I'm going to change my belt, since whenever I turn my a/c on it squeals loudly.

I have a 2004 honda civic lx 5 speed. I'm wondering if anyone has any advice/tips on how to do this properly. I'm going to spend some time looking at videos, and reading articles.

Thanks, for the help!

Old 09-15-2014, 05:25 PM
HCF Member

my advice would be to only use a OEM honda altonator or have the old oem one rebuilt don't use a after market altonator.

Old 09-15-2014, 08:54 PM
Recognized HCF Member

If you still have the factory radio, make sure you know the security code before disconnecting the battery. Read the owner's manual for how to read it out of the radio.

Always disconnect the battery before R&R alternator because the big output wire is live even when the key is off. If you short it to ground with the battery still connected, the car's main fuse will blow.

Old 09-20-2014, 02:28 PM

Cj - I just changed my alternator a couple of weeks ago on my 96 CX. Here's a big tip I wish I would have known. I'm not sure how it is on an 04, but for the 96, it's a REALLY TIGHT FIT and that damn alternator will only come out one way. I had to take off the lower alternator bracket and take it out from below, and I wish so badly I would have taken a picture of the angle I took the alternator out. Once I got the new one I forgot how I'd angled it to get it out and it took me a good 30 minutes of agony trying to get that thing back in there in just the right way. It was so annoying! (Getting it out wasn't difficult, it was getting it back in that was a pain, but it's a pain that could have been completely eliminated had I taken a picture or a video or something of how I managed to slide it out)

Oh yeah - also, a breaker bar or steel pipe to fit around your ratchet for loosening the tensioner bolt. A few of the bolts are really tight, and no way in hell I could have gotten them to budge without my pipe...

Good luck!