Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Front axle leaking even after new seal.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 11:15 AM
Default Front axle leaking even after new seal.

Hi i have a 1995 honda civic DX manual trans.My passenger side front axle was leaking a little where it enters the tranny,also cv joints were popping.I replaced front axle assembly and seal but it was still leaking.Yesterday i replaced the seal again and still have a leak.I made sure the axle slid all the way in and popped into place.I noticed that the axle has more play in it than the other side does.The play is more up and down than in and out.I can grab the axle right where it is up against tranny and move it up and down i feels a little sloppy.Any ideas on what would cause this would be very helpful.Thanks

Old 02-06-2011, 12:15 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Could be the wrong axle. If you still have the old one, put the transmission end of that one back in and check it for up and down play.

Old 02-06-2011, 05:03 PM
HCF Member

Knowing my experience with oreiley, you probably got a part for a different model honda. It's happened numerous times, which is why I only go to autozone.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:10 AM
Default front axle leak 1997, manual tranny

Jmack
I have a 1997 lx, manual tranny
I have replaced the CV axle and the seal, and the axle seal is still leaking, I jacked it up and put it on stands and then cleaned all the oil off of the tranny then put it in first gear with the engine running allowing the wheel to spin and i could not see any leak between the seal and the shaft, then I slowly pressed against the spinning wheel untill it stoped and I could see the cv axle at the tranny moving side to side. I have no idea how the tranny works but maby some one can give me some help,
I was very careful installing the seal and I inspected the axle stub for dings, and I measured the shaft and it is the same size as the one I removed. I dont recall seeing oil on the tranny from the orginal shaft.

Old 02-24-2011, 12:17 AM
HCF Member

When I installed mine, I put the seal all the way in. Mine leaks. I had a Honda Master Mechanic look at it and he said the seal should be flush with the tranny case, not pressed all the way in.
Could be a reason for the leak. I need to replace my new axle as I poked a pin hole in the boot. Tried to seal with RTV but it only held a couple of months. The grease has all been slung out.

Old 02-24-2011, 08:01 AM

Tiggerdx
I hear what your saying but the spot on the shaft where the seal contacts is 3/4 inch long and the keeper on the end of the shaft does not allow in and out movement of the cv axle that much.
Ask the Honda mechanic his opinion about my cv shaft moving up and down ( see my post above).

Old 02-24-2011, 10:19 AM
Cat Fuсker

If your differential bearings are worn enough for up and down movement no new axle seal will address the leak.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:36 AM

I was thinking the same thing, I was hoping someone with first hand manual tranny experience would give opinion.

Old 02-24-2011, 03:05 PM
Cat Fuсker

I do...

Old 02-25-2011, 05:27 AM

sorry about the implication,
I replaced the seal with a factory seal and applied some sealant to the outside and no more leak.

Last edited by kbayer; 03-24-2011 at 04:35 AM.

Quick Reply: Front axle leaking even after new seal.