Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Front engine mounts

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 05:45 AM
Default Front engine mounts

Hey guys. Sorry for all the posts, I've only had my civic for a week and I'm noticing things bit by bit.

Alright, it's a 97 civic EX, with a D16Y8 engine swap, has 220k on the bod, and 110k on the motor. It has been lowered 2.5' in front and 1.8' in back, and has 17' rims.

There's a rattling noise on the front passenger side of the motor when it idles. When I checked it out, it seems to come from the front passenger engine mount. When I started probing around it with my fingers I noticed the front bolt(closer to rad) is very loose(so loose it ain't helping to hold) and that the back bolt(closer to windshield) is loose as well, but holding. The rattling is the mount hitting the frame and bolt head back and forth.

I tried to tighten them both, but they're bolts fastened to nuts, and I can't figure out how to get into the frame to hold the nut while I tighten. I jacked up the car by the front and I can't see how to get in there. The Civic manual isn't helping either.

Old 08-05-2007, 07:18 PM
mxs
HCF Member
Default RE: Front engine mounts

first of all, the D16Y8 is the stock engine in a 97 EX, so that's not a swap.

Those nuts are (or . . . were) welded to the inside of the frame rail. I don't think you can get in there

Old 08-08-2007, 06:07 AM
Default RE: Front engine mounts

So they are...that sucks.

Seems there were 2 missing bolts for the driver side engine mount, where the plate is bolted to the engine. Got the bolts from a junkyard and installed them now. MUCH better. There's is now just a slight rattling from the mount on the passenger side from those loose bolts, but that's it. I love this car.