Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

front motor mount?

Old 09-27-2011, 10:34 AM
HCF Member
Default front motor mount?

hi,

i have been able to locate the rear and two side motor mounts but cannont find the front motor mount on my 1996 honda civic automatic. does someone know where the front one is? a pic would be great

Old 09-27-2011, 12:48 PM
HCF Member

I don't believe 96 have a front mount

Old 09-27-2011, 01:04 PM

You do not have a front motor mount. Instead, you have lower torque mounts. Raise up the vehicle and you be able to see them in the wheel wells. One is connected to a bracket on the transmission, the other is connected to the bracket which the A/C condenser is bolted to.

Here is a how to guide I put together one how to remove the mounts in order to fill them with polyurethane.

https://www.hondacivicforum.com/foru...-mounts-80490/

Old 09-27-2011, 01:46 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by cvcrcr99
You do not have a front motor mount. Instead, you have lower torque mounts. Raise up the vehicle and you be able to see them in the wheel wells. One is connected to a bracket on the transmission, the other is connected to the bracket which the A/C condenser is bolted to.

Here is a how to guide I put together one how to remove the mounts in order to fill them with polyurethane.

https://www.hondacivicforum.com/foru...-mounts-80490/
thank you so much for the response. why does this version of the honda civic not have a front motor mount? did they just not feel like it? lol

Old 09-27-2011, 01:56 PM

Not sure. I doubt it had anything to do with not feeling like making one as they designed 2 additional mounts for the sides.

Civics from 88-00 all had the same set-up to my knowledge. Same with 90-01 Integras I believe. There are probably other Honda models set-up like this (i.e. Accords) but I am not 100% certain as they mimic Preludes and I know that 92-01 Preludes have a front mount.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:40 AM
HCF Member

Not sure. I doubt it had anything to do with not feeling like making one as they designed 2 additional mounts for the sides.

Civics from 88-00 all had the same set-up to my knowledge. Same with 90-01 Integras I believe. There are probably other Honda models set-up like this (i.e. Accords) but I am not 100% certain as they mimic Preludes and I know that 92-01 Preludes have a front mount.
ok i haven't jacked my car up but i took out the air intake and looked down into the passenger side. i see a metal bar running from the frame of the car to the transmission front side and it looks like it is bolted into the front side of the transmission. is this a bracket? does it connect to a torque mount bolted to the frame?

oh and quick question...can that polyurethane trick work for other mounts as well? like the transmission mount bolted to the top of the transmission?

also is polyurethane flammable? is it toxic? i heard the fumes are bad.

Last edited by briceman124; 09-28-2011 at 08:59 AM.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by briceman124
ok i haven't jacked my car up but i took out the air intake and looked down into the passenger side. i see a metal bar running from the frame of the car to the transmission front side and it looks like it is bolted into the front side of the transmission. is this a bracket? does it connect to a torque mount bolted to the frame?

oh and quick question...can that polyurethane trick work for other mounts as well? like the transmission mount bolted to the top of the transmission?

also is polyurethane flammable? is it toxic? i heard the fumes are bad.
The bar you see is most likely where the center bolt holding the torque mount goes into. Check my DIY to see exactly what it should look like.

I am sure you can fill the other mounts with it, but you would not be able to continue driving your car while those mounts are out like you can with the lower front torque mounts (I said lower front as the rear mount is technically a torque mount as well while the transmission has one mount (pass. side) and the engine has one mount (dr. side)).

The polyurethane is no flammable. There is a smell which is has while drying, but it is not toxic to my knowledge, nor is it a "bad" smell IMO. I have filled about 3 sets of mounts so far and haven't had any problems

Old 09-28-2011, 09:28 AM
HCF Member

The bar you see is most likely where the center bolt holding the torque mount goes into. Check my DIY to see exactly what it should look like.

I am sure you can fill the other mounts with it, but you would not be able to continue driving your car while those mounts are out like you can with the lower front torque mounts (I said lower front as the rear mount is technically a torque mount as well while the transmission has one mount (pass. side) and the engine has one mount (dr. side)).

The polyurethane is no flammable. There is a smell which is has while drying, but it is not toxic to my knowledge, nor is it a "bad" smell IMO. I have filled about 3 sets of mounts so far and haven't had any problems
Thank you for the help i really appreciate it. also for that transmission mount that is on the top of the transmission how do you know when it is bad? for instance my trans mount looks kind of rusted around the center bolt but the center bolt won't move. is it still good?

Old 09-28-2011, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by briceman124
Thank you for the help i really appreciate it. also for that transmission mount that is on the top of the transmission how do you know when it is bad? for instance my trans mount looks kind of rusted around the center bolt but the center bolt won't move. is it still good?
Are you able to see the bushing itself? If the bushing looks cracked, or torn, then it is time for a replacement. Rust on the bolts/metal brackets shouldn't be anything to worry about.

I am not sure what you mean by "the center bolt won't move". Are you attempting to remove the bolt with a socket wrench?

Old 09-28-2011, 09:43 AM
HCF Member

Are you able to see the bushing itself? If the bushing looks cracked, or torn, then it is time for a replacement. Rust on the bolts/metal brackets shouldn't be anything to worry about.

I am not sure what you mean by "the center bolt won't move". Are you attempting to remove the bolt with a socket wrench?

the center bolt that runs through the motor mount won't move. if the bushings were cracked or torn wouldn't the center bolt move up and down?

the center bolt i'm talking about runs through the hole in the middle of the circle in this picture

also do you have to jack up the engine/trans when you remove the torque mounts?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: front motor mount?