Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

fuel cut off switch??

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2006, 03:35 PM
Default fuel cut off switch??

i took my plugs out yesterday to do a compression check on my h22. after i put all the plugs back in i cranked it over but its not firing. i started taking a look at it 2day and managed to lock my keys in the car (but thats another story lol) the guy who came out to get my car open said it could be a fuel cut off switch/reset switch? could anyone tell me where this is on my car? i've got an eg esi h/b

Old 12-14-2006, 11:22 AM
Default RE: fuel cut off switch??

bump

Old 12-14-2006, 11:31 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

If there is a fuel cut off switch, you would have had to bump it to turn the fuel feed off. Chances are if there is one in there, it's probably hidden really well (thats kinda the point of having one) so I guess just search around and see if you can find it

Old 12-14-2006, 12:56 PM

ok thanks for the reply. i just checked to see if it was sparking but theres nothing. im pretty sure its not the dizzy etc. as it was running fine before i took the plugs out. could something have shorted as i cranked it over without the plugs in?

Old 12-14-2006, 01:08 PM
Laced with Sarcasm

You positive all your fuses are back in, and that the battery is hooked up?

Not intending to insult your intelligence, but 75% of the time, it's something stupid that causes issues..

Old 12-14-2006, 01:13 PM

your more than welcome to insult my intelligence lol, im fairly new to cars and i wont be suprised if its something stupid that i've missed. ye everything is all hooked up and its turning over but no spark

Old 12-14-2006, 01:14 PM
Laced with Sarcasm

Any visible damage, cracks, etc to the distributor?

Old 12-14-2006, 01:41 PM

i didnt notice anything but i'l have another good look tomorrow after work

Old 12-14-2006, 03:58 PM

"The reason why you should always use the tester is because you can damage the computer if the spar plug wire is not close enough or grounded to the plug or engine block. The tester is designed with the correct gap for the spark to fly across."

i just read that in another thread from a while back. when i did the compression check i didnt use a tester and just left the leads hanging about. could i have fryed my ecu?

Old 12-14-2006, 05:29 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Forty04

Not intending to insult your intelligence, but 75% of the time, it's something stupid that causes issues..
It doesn't matter how much you know about cars, the stupidest, most basic **** is bound to get you every once in a while. I wouldn't recommend just putting the spark plug wire against the block b/c of the reason that was already stated. You can do it, but it is very possible that you can blow your computer up. You don't need to get a special tester, next time you change your plugs keep the old ones. Anyway, back to the fuel cut off switch. Pull the back seat off. The fuel pump will be under the seat, check if any of the wires are spliced. I think the fuel cut off switch that the guy was refferring to is the one found in some Fords. WHen you rear ended, there is a switch that turns the fuel pump off so you car doesn't explode. Hondas do not have this switch. Get a fuel pressure guage and check if you have fuel pressure at the fuel rail. If you have spark, then you have not fried your ECU.

Quick Reply: fuel cut off switch??