Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Fuel Pump Main Relay Problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 07:09 PM
Banned

CEL was always on becuase of o2 sensor (fixing tomorrow)
engine cranks and turns over but does not start
fuel pump does not prime at all
have spark in all plugs and spark is as should be
the wire is in the main relay (white with black stripe)
when i unhook the wire the 15amp fuse does not blow but when it is hooked it does. its the battery termial wire on the main relay.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:28 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by 96 Civic DX
CEL was always on becuase of o2 sensor (fixing tomorrow)
engine cranks and turns over but does not start
fuel pump does not prime at all
have spark in all plugs and spark is as should be
the wire is in the main relay (white with black stripe)
when i unhook the wire the 15amp fuse does not blow but when it is hooked it does. its the battery termial wire on the main relay.
Explain how and where you disconnected the Wht/Blk wire. You called it a bad wire. Is the wire visibly damaged?

By the way, you did some excellent troubleshooting up to this point.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:35 PM
Banned

no it isnt visibly damaged. i took the glove box out and found the main relay (it had a mitsubishi symbol on it by the way). i had the main relay plugged in and everything and the 15amp fuse under the hood next to the battery blew. so i started testing the wires by clipping wires and re plugging it in and if it wasnt the one i re connected the wire untill i found this one. i clipped it plugged it in and the fuse didnt blow for once. i re connected it and plugged it in and "pop" there goes the fuse again. so now i have no clue whats next.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:41 PM
Recognized HCF Member

no it isnt visibly damaged. i took the glove box out and found the main relay (it had a mitsubishi symbol on it by the way). i had the main relay plugged in and everything and the 15amp fuse under the hood next to the battery blew. so i started testing the wires by clipping wires and re plugging it in and if it wasnt the one i re connected the wire untill i found this one. i clipped it plugged it in and the fuse didnt blow for once. i re connected it and plugged it in and "pop" there goes the fuse again. so now i have no clue whats next.
Very practical approach. The idea of cutting and splicing wires, however, makes me a bit nervous. Please name all of the main relay wires that, when cut, did not prevent fuse 44 (15A) from blowing.

The options are:

Name:  picture_1998.jpg
Views: 3913
Size:  45.2 KB

Last edited by RonJ; 02-10-2009 at 08:10 PM.
Old 02-11-2009, 04:44 AM
Recognized HCF Member

By the way, you should jump the service connector to retrieve CEL codes from the ECU. I know that a code for the O2 sensor may be stored there, but the question is whether any new code(s) has appeared. Another possibility is that the CEL will remain ON steady (no blinking) with the connector jumped. Let us know the outcome.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:14 AM
Banned

that was the first and only wire that i cut becuase since it seemed bad i didnt think that i needed to do further cutting

Old 02-11-2009, 11:21 AM
Recognized HCF Member

that was the first and only wire that i cut becuase since it seemed bad i didnt think that i needed to do further cutting
You are a very lucky man.

Fuse 44 protects circuits for the (1) main relay, (2) all four fuel injectors, (3) IACV, and (4) ECU.

Start by disconnecting connectors for items 1-3 one at a time to determine which, if any, prevents fuse 44 from blowing.

Also check for CEL codes (see post above).

Old 02-11-2009, 11:23 AM
Banned

RonJ fly to Minnesota

Old 02-11-2009, 11:29 AM
Recognized HCF Member

RonJ fly to Minnesota
Too cold!

Based on the excellent troubleshooting that you have done thus far, you should have no problem tracing the location of the electrical short all by yourself. When you have more questions along the way, just post them in this thread.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:43 AM
Banned

well my dad just called me and he bought a complete book of my car with colored wiring diagrams and everything. he also moved the o2 sensor on the 2nd header piece so it fits in there so my CEL will turn off

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump Main Relay Problems