Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Fuel Pump Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 09:15 AM
Default Fuel Pump Problems

So, my old fuel pump **** the bed a while ago so I bought a walbro fuel pump from eBay and it finally got here. I installed it and got everything worked out good there. Turned the car to the on position and listened for the sound and heard the new pump it sounded weird, so I did it again and it sounded different, and then the 3rd time it sounded different im guessing it’s just filling the lines with gas, but actually the 3rd time it sounded like a normal fuel pump. So anyways I thought things were good so I fired it up and it was perfect, let it run for a couple seconds while I opened the garage door, I drove it outside then let it idle for a while. After about 5 minutes it just died, I thought it ran out of gas so I put more in and tried starting it but no sound from the pump was heard...
Possible things to check? Anyone? Thanks!

Old 12-02-2007, 09:49 AM
Default RE: Fuel Pump Problems

yea its a toughy, it was priming it self and thats why it soundsed differnt but there might be air in the lines and thats why your not getting fuel.

Old 12-02-2007, 09:51 AM

oh yea, check the fuel filter and plugs

Old 12-02-2007, 11:29 AM
Recognized HCF Member

id also check for power on the pump conection..... make sure its geting power.... if not it could be the pump relay just going bad....

Old 12-02-2007, 11:31 AM
Recognized HCF Member

I agree with slottieskim. You may still have air in the fuel line. In the meanwhile, you might also want to check the fuse(s) for the main relay and possible the main relay itself.

Old 12-03-2007, 12:38 PM

I checked the relay and it works perfectly according to the haynes repair book, then I checked to see if it was getting power at the connecter under the seat and it was.

Would air in the lines make the fuel pump not give off a sound? I hear absolutly no noise from the fuel pump itself when I turn the ignition on.

Old 12-03-2007, 12:53 PM

The air in the system leaves very fast, was the pump new ?

Old 12-03-2007, 03:18 PM

I bought the pump brand new, I just checked every wire leading directly to the fuel pump after dropping the tank again, and sure enough they are fine.

Old 12-03-2007, 03:47 PM

Little update, I took the pump out of the tank and did a bench test on it, and it pumped gas out while on the bench hooked up to power. It wasnt the most dramatic thing in the world but it pumped all the gas that was in it into a can. So the pump works, the relay passed the test and has no cracks in the soldering, and its getting power! What else could cause this! I also hooked up a Fuel pressure regulator if that makes a difference in anything...

Old 12-03-2007, 03:48 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Either you are just unlucky and the new fuel pump is defective or the fuel pump connector terminals are not making proper electrical contact. Look for corrosion at each terminal of both connectors. Also, can you find a way to supply battery voltage directly to the pump to see if it then runs/makes noise? What year Civic do you have?

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump Problems