Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

FUNNY SOUND!!??? PLEASE HELP ME

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 07:55 PM
Default FUNNY SOUND!!??? PLEASE HELP ME

Hey i got a 2007 civic si sedan and when i turn on my car and idol it i hear a thunk (light noise).... it sounds like its something thats not grabbing in the area where the shifter is dose any one know what i should do?
[sm=wtf.gif]

Old 02-13-2008, 10:06 PM
Default RE: FUNNY SOUND!!??? PLEASE HELP ME

wierd. And so new too. Does it happen immediatly after turning it on or does it happen when you put the car in gear? Is it instantaneous or delayed? Single time or constant? When its only cold or hot or both? Do you feel a light impact or just hear the noise?I would think that if its immediate then your starter gear might be sticking to the flywheel. But that'smy thought.Could be nothing much, could be much more. But such a new model....Need more info.

Old 02-14-2008, 05:24 AM

90% of these sounds can be found out by having a good look through the engine bay when the car is idling. Have you done this?

Old 02-14-2008, 06:14 AM
HCF Member

shouldn't it be under warranty?

Old 02-14-2008, 06:29 AM

it is continuous and it happens all the time hot or cold. if you put your hand on the stick you feel a very light impact when you hear the noise. yes i have looked in the engine bay when idoling but it seams like its comming form the back of the engine some where....

it is still under warranty but i want to try to fixit so i know how to do those things if it ever happes agen. lol

Old 02-14-2008, 06:33 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Could be a broken motor mount. The engine jumps around and hits metal on metal instead of having a rubber cushion.

Old 02-14-2008, 12:08 PM

Could be the exhaust manifold contacting something. Or maybe one of your exhaust system hangers is bad (which is a ten dollar piece of hard rubber). Take a look under the car when its running and watch what your pipes and cat are doing.I know that with the K-series and corresponding cars the clearances in the engine bay have shrunk. And your exhaust comes out by the firewall. Motor mount seems less likely (since its an 07') but not impossible. Beyond that, take advantage of the warranty. And ask alot of questions at the dealer service counter (at least Kolbe honda over here is more than helpful and informative...though they won't mod my car for me....damit). If you don't want to deal with the dealer, time to pick up a service manual (expensive like 80 bucks) or the haynes manual (cheaper like 15 bucks). The haynes is based on a tear down and rebuild of your car while the service manual is from the factory. Though Idon't know if theres a haynes availible for the 07' SI yet.Seriously though...take advantage of the warranty. Really sounds like something minor in my opinion. Let us know what it ends up being.

Old 02-14-2008, 12:45 PM
HCF Member

I honestly don't understand why people ask these types of questions with a brand new car. just tak it to the dealer and tell them to fix it, it should be covered under the warranty

Old 02-14-2008, 07:49 PM

i will let you know,

Old 02-14-2008, 07:50 PM

Ok ill let you know what is wrong with it ill take it in tommorrow.... thanks alot..

the reason why i ask these types of Q'S is beacause i like to know how to work on my car if i have to. if the sound ever comes back or if it happens with some one elses car..[:'(]

Quick Reply: FUNNY SOUND!!??? PLEASE HELP ME