Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Fuse #35 blows when I plug in the condenser fan

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 04:01 PM
Default Fuse #35 blows when I plug in the condenser fan

Hi everyone, first time formally asking a question here, but I've gotten a lot help from reading others posts here, so thank you all for that.

I have a 95 civic dx and the AC hasn't worked for the 3 months that I've owned it. I've searched thoroughly in the forums here and in the service manual, which has led me to figure out this much: fuse #35 blows when I turn the AC on, however if I disconnect the condenser fan and turn the AC on the fuse does not blow. I measured about 12V at the connector to the fan, and on the fan side a resistance that changed from anywhere between about 2 to 16 Ohms. The fan appears to be aftermarket, and has a grill that prevents me from being able to try manually spinning the fan to see if it's stuck.

Does the fact that the fuse only blows when the fan is connected mean that the fan is the problem?

Thank you for any advice you can give me.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:24 PM
Recognized HCF Member

The compressor and fan are on the same fuse. You could unplug the compressor and test with just the fan. If the fuse still blows, yes the fan is bad. Or try spinning it by hand. The stock fan is removed by taking the two bolts out of the top, loosen the wires and hoses (do not disconnect refrigerant hoses though, just take them off of the brackets), then slide the fan straight up.

Old 07-02-2014, 10:42 PM

Ok great, thank you. I'll try it tomorrow with the compressor disconnected.