Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Gas Door Wouldn't Open

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 07:24 AM
Default Gas Door Wouldn't Open

I was driving on fumes yesterday, and when I went to fill up, the lever inside the car wouldn't open the door to my gas tank! I finally managed to get it open by messing with the cable near the lever, but it wasn't a fix. Seems like the cable is stretched out. How can I fix this for good?

Old 05-29-2008, 07:31 AM
Default RE: Gas Door Wouldn't Open

this happened onmy lil brothers Avalon and the only real way to fix it is replace the cable...i think toyota fixed it for like 70 bucks....

Old 05-29-2008, 12:40 PM
HCF Member

if you need to get a new cable, I'd suggest getting a hold of a service manual for your year if you do not already have one here:

http://hondatech.info/downloads/Auto/Manuals/Civic/

Old 05-29-2008, 12:45 PM
HCF Member

try greasing the cable, might be dried out.

Old 05-29-2008, 01:12 PM

Hi new here. I agree to that answer. The cable that works it is broken. Take a screwdriver or other thin but firm object and poke in where the latch is around the door. You should be able to hit it and get the door open. It won't hurt anything either. The latches are just spring loaded. In fact you'll need to do this to repair the cable anyway. Or possibly you can take the interior panel off and access the latch that way and remove it then the gas door will open normally without a latch.

Another idea: This is what I did when mine wouldn't open. Have someone keep the button pushed up (in my case I was by myself so I put a shoe there to hold it up) and pry it open with your key.