Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Gas Mileage and other Fuel Related Problems! Insight needed!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2006, 08:20 PM
Default RE: Gas Mileage and other Fuel Related Problems! Insight needed!

got the air filter changed in late october and had a tune up done (spark plugs, rotor..etc.) done about a week ago...

I think I might just live with the mileage until may when I get the new Civic. Is there anything else you could recomend?

Old 02-01-2006, 09:21 PM

fuel filter and pcv valve wouldn't hurt, but i doubt you'd see a huge difference.

do you have lots of miles on your car? bad piston rings and problems with your valve train can cause bad gas mileage dirty/leaky/otherwise faulty injectors could do it. is your car running rich? (black soot coming out your tail pipe?)

and you're sure you don't just suffer from the old 'lead foot' syndrome? because my civic was always hard on gas too and i wondered why for a little while but now when i think about the way i drive it all makes sense.

Old 02-03-2006, 10:25 PM

I just used some seafoam and we'll see what happens...how long does it take sea foam to clean everything out? When the gas is empty?

Old 02-04-2006, 07:04 PM
HCF Member

I achieved 43.5 MPG in my 1993 Civic LX Sedan loaded down with stuff evacuating from hurricanes. It too needs a tune up.

Here's my tricks of the trade:

1: Fix your car
2: Step on the gas as little as possible
3: Step on the brake as little as possible, change lanes instead
4: Don't use your air conditioner, rely on windows down, windows cracked, or "vent mode"
5: Keep your RPMs down
6: crack, don't open your windows (at higher speeds)
7: Less weight the better for city MPG
8: Two words: Cruise Control
9: max your tire pressures
10: Chip tuner, set for fuel economy
11: Cut your engine when waiting in a long gridlocked line

Old 02-04-2006, 08:36 PM

if you're getting a new car soon is it worth spending money to improve your gas mileage? You'll probably only end up saving a few bucks or breaking even.

A missing or loose gas cap will decrease fuel mileage. Gasoline is volitale and will evaporate, and if theres a way out of your car it will take it.

Old 02-04-2006, 09:43 PM

i'm not going to spend that much money on my car..I'm getting a new civic in the spring..and I can' t wait..those things are sick...although...I might have some more money than expected..should I go with an accord instead? which would you choose if you had the money?

Old 02-05-2006, 09:45 AM
HCF Member

Your fuel gauge sensor is apart of the fuel pump in the gas tank. On some you are able to replace it without having to replace the fuel pump. And on others you have to replace pump and all because they are all one unit. Am not sure on Civics if there is access to top of tank through the trunk area. Usually not, The fuel tank normally has to be pulled out to R&R. And also depending on if the sensor is built on to the fuel pump or if it can be replaced seperate of the fuel pump, that will make a big difference in price, because they can be extremely expensive if the pump has to be replaced. Pulling the tank out isnt to bad and should only be a very small part of the cost.

Old 02-05-2006, 10:19 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Esquirrel

i'm not going to spend that much money on my car..I'm getting a new civic in the spring..and I can' t wait..those things are sick...although...I might have some more money than expected..should I go with an accord instead? which would you choose if you had the money?
I would get a Civic SI, but they don't get the best milage, 22/31. For best gas milage, the Civic Hybrid is the best choice with 49/51. There is also an Accord Hybrid, 255HP V6 that gets 29/37 mpg. If you want all out gas milage, there is the Honda Insight that gets 60/66 but they are ugly and don't come with A/C. The one that does come with A/C gets 57/66. And they are slow as hell.

Old 02-05-2006, 02:00 PM

Accord coupe or Civic SI. I think the accords nowadays are a much better looking car than the civics. More power, too.

Old 02-05-2006, 03:53 PM

well I'm concerned with gas mileage but but it's not THAT big of a deal..because Hondas still generally get better gas mileage than other cars...I drive an automatic..don't want a stick..and I'm not worried about gas mileage to get a hybrid or anything like that...

so I'm looking at maybe..an accord or a civic...which would you guys take if you had the money?

The accord interior looked kind of boring...while the civic's redesign was quite interesting...

I just don't know

Quick Reply: Gas Mileage and other Fuel Related Problems! Insight needed!