Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Glow Gauges--can't find 12v source

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 03:44 PM
HCF Member
Default Glow Gauges--can't find 12v source

I'm a major newb at electrical stuff, and can't seem to find a hot 12v wire for my glow gauges. Installation was great, but now there is no juice. The ground wire (-) can just be attached to a bolt on the frame for a ground, correct?

Do I have to splice off something or will there be a free 12v wire floating around? Lost, help is appreciated. Thanks.

Old 01-28-2006, 07:16 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Glow Gauges--can't find 12v source

i just attatched the ground to a spare bolt and then found the amber lights fuse, pulled it out, stuck the positive wire in and then put the fuse back in. then whenever you turn your lights on your gauges will have power. its kind of half assed but its worked fine

Old 01-28-2006, 09:03 PM
Cat Fuсker

use the wire from the lights that goes into the dimmer switch...someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it is the black-red wire...or the red one...check your wiring diagram

Old 01-28-2006, 11:02 PM
HCF Member

im pretty sure its red. but dont hold me too it

Old 01-29-2006, 01:11 PM
HCF Member

a easy thing would be to get the 12v wire and put a connecter on the end, and connect it into a constent spare fuse thing under the dash

Old 01-29-2006, 01:36 PM
HCF Member

actually you no what? ill get you a pic.... i went to get take a pic in this rainy weather and here it is. To hook it up so it goes on when you turn your interior lights on (this is the best way to do it) you need to pop the thing out were you can dim the lights or make them brighter and find the wire that its RED with SILVER marks on it and has a BLACK line it in...in my pic you can see it, its the one where i have the white wire going into with the electrial tape on it, becarful because theres 2 red wires with silver stripes in it..you need the one with the black line it it ..then just cut a little piece of the top off till you can see the wire, wrap the 12v wire for your lights around it and salder it toughter, if not, then just electircal tape it really well and your set..check to see if it works, remember you need to turn your interiour lights ON for it to work,and make sure the dimmer is on brite..and post some pics
hope this helps

[IMG]local://upfiles/2140/2BCA0598FEA2441384A44F90AD65998B.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-29-2006, 02:09 PM

another way is if you can find your instrument panel fuse just wire the positive around it and stick in there.

Old 01-29-2006, 02:17 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: adelleda

i just attatched the ground to a spare bolt and then found the amber lights fuse, pulled it out, stuck the positive wire in and then put the fuse back in. then whenever you turn your lights on your gauges will have power. its kind of half assed but its worked fine
I just wrapped it around the large bulb connector in the back, and put the ground to a bolt. Works beautifully. I owe you a beer!

Thanks for the suggestions all, look for pics in appearance forum.

Old 02-01-2006, 06:40 PM
HCF Member

Good, that's what I did. There's no need to splice... there's positive terminals on every bulb in the back and you can just put the wire between the bulb and contact and tighten it down.

Old 02-01-2006, 08:21 PM

You could just splice into the ignition wire and run an inline fuse, that way if you want to add more you can just keep splicing into the fused line.

Quick Reply: Glow Gauges--can't find 12v source