Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Got a CEL help please!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 11:27 AM
HCF Member
Default Got a CEL help please!

hi, I own a 98 ex auto civic and yesterday as i was driving home my CEL came on after I made a sharp u-turn. So today I went to autozone to get the codes. I got p1298- Electrical load detector circuit high input, p0135 - problem with oxygen sensor 1, p0141 - problem with oxygen sensor 2, and p0501 - problem with speedometer (speedometer doesn't work now or it bounces around when it does work). I only have about 70k miles and i was surprised to see the cel on. Not only that but now a strange noise is coming from the engine when and after I rev it or accelerate. Also the lights in the dash on my car dim and then keep brightening again when i rev it. And when I was driving home from autozone i had to stop at a red light and when I stepped on the gas to go, the car had trouble accelerating (i think it was having trouble shifting too). I think its probably a problem with the electrical circuit of my car. Is there anyway that I can fix this myself? Thank you for the help!

Old 10-25-2007, 11:35 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Got a CEL help please!

Check the ground wires on the engine. There's a big one on the transmission and smaller ones on the thermostat housing. Also make sure the vehicle speed sensor (on the top of the transmission over where the axles go into it) is securely plugged in. If you still have trouble with the speedometer you probably need a new speed sensor.

After the speedometer works again, reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery for a while (with the key off) then see if the CEL stays off.

Old 10-25-2007, 12:18 PM
Recognized HCF Member

If you don't find a problem with the engine ground wires (mentioned by mk378), my recommendation is that you next focus on the trouble code for the Electrical Load Detector circuit. This may be the root of most or all of your problems. You will find one picture here and two in a post that follows. They may help you diagnose the problem.

[IMG]local://upfiles/25538/64C3F997839042B6A4D4F966E10D7865.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-25-2007, 12:19 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Last two pictures:

[IMG]local://upfiles/25538/FE1A53EE5CBB4EF0801DA600D0F6549B.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/25538/9D30C68AA5F84CE68776FE0D53863DD9.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-25-2007, 12:40 PM
HCF Member

thanks a lot of the help guys. ill check it out and say if it works

Old 10-25-2007, 02:19 PM
HCF Member

where exactly is the speed sensor? is it closer to the front or the back of the tranny? also where is the thermostat housing?

Old 10-25-2007, 02:41 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Does the component location picture in the post above help you locate the speed sensor?

The thermostat housing should be visible behind and below the distributor as you face the vehicle. Look for several hoses emanating from it.

Old 10-25-2007, 03:51 PM
Recognized HCF Member

You may also find these two posts helpful:

https://www.hondacivicforum.com/m_78902/tm.htm

https://www.hondacivicforum.com/m_501475/tm.htm

Old 10-25-2007, 04:34 PM
HCF Member

In the picture it looks like the VSS is closer to the front of the car but I thought I found farther to the back when I looked? I was actually just looking at one of those topics you posted. Also I found this meant for a guy with pretty much the same problem:
ORIGINAL: sear386

Hello

I have the fix you are looking for.

Under the intake manifold you will see a bracket that supports the intake.
Now you will see a bunch of wires running through this space, if you look carefully you will see that the wires are grounded. Not only is the vss(speed sensor) out of wack, but also your oxygen sensors (heater side) will not be working. After you repair the wires do not forget to change the fuse under the dash it will be in the middle row 4th or 5th fuse closest to the door.
I am a class A licenced mechanic.
that will fix the problem
see ya
https://www.hondacivicforum.com/m_64753/tm.htm
I'm hoping that a ground wire was damaged or something and then a fuse blew because of too much current running through it. That won't be too hard to fix. My friend is gonna have a voltameter tomarrow hopefully so then I can see if and where the wires are damaged and then replace the fuse. I'll try to keep this topic updated.
thanks for the help!

Old 10-25-2007, 05:00 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Yes, the speed sensor is farther back and located on top of the transmission. It is made of black plastic and is attached by one 10-mm bolt.

This eBay link shows a picture of the VSS when removed from transmission:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/96-00...QQcmdZViewItem

Quick Reply: Got a CEL help please!