Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Got into an Accident now engine prob.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 08:26 AM
Default Got into an Accident now engine prob.

I rear ended someone on the freeway at about 20 mph and now the car feels even slower then it was, it will not go above 3500 rpms and on the freeway i have to keep it floored just to do the speed limit. anyone kno y it could be doing this? something need to be reset? like the fuel pump? or ecu?

Old 08-19-2007, 08:30 AM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Got into an Accident now engine prob.

manual or auto?

if manual MAYBE poped off some bushings and your not realy in the gear you THINK you are....

Old 08-19-2007, 09:26 AM

It is manual but I dont think it has anything to do wit the tranny cuz it does it when its not in gear also.

Old 08-19-2007, 03:40 PM
gwl
HCF Member

Maybe you busted some motor mounts or something that caused engine move from its original location. Then, I would check to see if your accelerator cable is moving freely. With a 20 mile per hour collision, you need to check your wheel alignment.

Old 08-19-2007, 04:30 PM

It didnt move the rad or anything into the engine or mount. The accelerator pedal has more play then it did before but i dont think that is it. It feels like its hitting a rev limitor or someting. I dont care about the alignment im selling the car anywayz.

Old 08-19-2007, 04:37 PM
Recognized HCF Member

wel on the throttle body or carb which ever it runs... if you use your hand to crank up the gas pedal linkage will it rev like normal? or still act like rev limiter kicken in?

i dont see how a rear end accident could hurt the motor any...... sounds preaty odd.

Old 08-19-2007, 06:01 PM

It tryed reving it by hand and it still does the same thing, and there is a popping noise coming from the intake.

Old 08-19-2007, 06:12 PM
HCF Member

did you change the oil after or right before? if so you may have added to much and now the plugs are soaked in oil i had the same prob with my crx when i bought it, changed out the plugs and drained the 5.5 quarts of oil the dumb*** who owned the car the day before put in. again probly not your problem but if you did change the oil it very well could be

Old 08-19-2007, 06:29 PM
gwl
HCF Member

How does it run at idle? I have seen engine jump the timing belt or chain after an accident.

Old 08-19-2007, 11:29 PM

The oil was changed less then 1k miles before the accident, i will check the oil and spark plugs tomorrow. It idles low and shakes alot more then it used to. how could i check to see if the timing was off?

Quick Reply: Got into an Accident now engine prob.