Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

govener kicks in at 120

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 09:51 PM
HCF Member

You know the problem I see & has been mentioned is that why is 120 MPH not fast enough? The other thing that comes to my mind is in 1995 I bought a brand new Mustang GT with a 5.0L (302CI) 5sp car, fully loaded. It had a 150 MPH speedo. So one day I took it out on a real remote section of Highway in Nevada. I decided to see how fast it would really go. Well it red lined in 4th gear at 125 MPH I went into 5th gear & it continued to increase speed but at a much slower pace. After 130 MPH it started to take the whole road, I couldn't keep it in one lane. At 140 MPH I shut it off because it was getting down right scary. I was an experienced driver with plenty of experience driving at speeds over 140 MPH. I had a Mercedes SL 560 also & it was capable of over 140 MPH. I had driven Ferrari's & the older cop cars with the big horsepower big cube motors with certified speedos to 150 MPH.
So my point is just because they will go fast doesn't mean they are safe at those speeds. Believe me 120 MPH & only one little mistake & your in serious trouble. You chances of living are slight. Back in the 60s a classmate had a fast 66 Mustang GT. He hit a semi truck at 130 MPH head on & they picked up him & two others in a plastic garbage bag & the car was loaded into the back of a 53 Chevy pickup. What was left. It knocked the front & rear axles from under the semi. The impact was so hard that a piece of decal from the Mustang went through the metal cab of the truck.
I have seem my share of things in the 60 + years I have been alive.

Old 11-02-2010, 03:24 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

120+ on s-rated tires lolololol

Old 11-02-2010, 03:32 AM
HCF Member

That is why I said that it could be an expensive option should he remove speed limitter and go that fast. Pay in fine or life.

Old 11-02-2010, 08:06 PM
HCF Member

You know what is neat for me is to see you young people with some common sense. You guys are way ahead of me as a young person. When I was young many times I was just like the person that asked this question. My answer would of been just because I want to go faster.
I saw guys die in auto accidents as a youth, but I was bullet-proof I thought.
Talk about speed rated tires. In Nevada where I grew up in the day there was NO SPEED LIMITS on the HIGHWAYS out of towns. You could drive as fast as you wanted. I remember riding 150 MPH in my buddies 1969 Plymouth GTX with a 440 4 bbl. It put out 375 HP. We did this on belted bias tires. Compared to today's tires they would be lucky if they would be rated at 55 MPH. No Seat Belts either. We were stupid & I'm grateful I lived through it, many didn't.

Old 11-03-2010, 03:24 AM
HCF Member

People can go as fast as they want to but 1 single mistake & that is it..it's over.
Even if you try your very best not to make a mistake happen yourself..the car may just make that mistake for you...When the mistake is done & over you'll either be in a body bag(if they find you whole) or not able to walk/eat/talk(if you're very lucky) with much regret.
I really hope this guy is reading every single one of this posts...Because speed is not to be played with unless you're a NASCAR driver....even they crash(with safety frames in the car).
There's alotta people out their that say..."aww man it won't happen to me..those guys that crash are stupid..I'm different!"....If we all human then we all the same & can have the same results..that's IMO anyway.

Old 11-03-2010, 03:30 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

Originally Posted by 90 Civic
150 MPH in my buddies 1969 Plymouth GTX with a 440 4 bbl. It put out 375 HP. We did this on belted bias tires.
That is terrifying! What a different automotive world it was back then.

Old 11-03-2010, 12:41 PM
HCF Member

People always like to see the limits of their cars.
In my CRX, I redlined 5th gear. It was a pretty dead highway, I didn't want to be flying past people... Two lanes as well. It seemed pretty stable, but I know my tires aren't rated for that speed, as well as my car... so it was just the one time. Once I redlined, I let off the gas to slow down. A CRX is more aerodynamic (I think) with that back-end. I'm no street racer, I just like going fast sometimes. I fear getting a ticket, so that keeps me in line.

Don't know what the tickets are like in the United States, but, here in Canada... Speed limit on the main highway is 110 km/h. If you go 40 km/h over that, you risk being charged with attempted murder, and dangerous driving... suspended license, bunch of other things. A guy I worked with once was telling me about it, he was going 155km/h in his yellow Cobalt SS.

Old 11-11-2010, 05:32 PM

i race where every it starts an i havent lost one yet blew a v6 eclipse away three days ago an its not all stock i have iridium dbl platium tip plug 8mm accel thunder sport wires and performace ceramic brake pads
i use to own a toyota supra tht did 180 plus an ive been drivin since 11 never pulled over for speeding an no accidents i drift for a hobby so im use to out of control cars an keepin them in line

Last edited by singlecam_93; 11-11-2010 at 05:38 PM.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:36 PM

of the mods you just listed, none of them has an effect on how fast your car is

Old 11-11-2010, 05:40 PM
Chubby Chaser

Originally Posted by singlecam_93
i race where every it starts an i havent lost one yet blew a v6 eclipse away three days ago an its not all stock i have iridium dbl platium tip plug 8mm accel thunder sport wires and performace ceramic brake pads
i use to own a toyota supra tht did 180 plus an ive been drivin since 11 never pulled over for speeding an no accidents i drift for a hobby so im use to out of control cars an keepin them in line

you sir are an IDIOT!!!!

Quick Reply: govener kicks in at 120