Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Growling noise?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 05:50 PM
Default Growling noise?

I have a 94 Civic ex that's making a growling noise @ speed's above 27 mph can anyboy help me with this.

Thank you,

Steven

Old 06-30-2008, 05:52 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Growling noise?

If the noise is coming from a wheel, it might be a bad wheel bearing.

Old 06-30-2008, 06:01 PM

Could this problem manifested from the oversized rims and tires & Any Idea how much this is going to cost me? and is this somthing a backyard mech can do?

Old 06-30-2008, 06:15 PM
Recognized HCF Member

I am not sure if your large wheels contributed to the problem.

If the bad bearing is in the rear, then you can do the entire job by replacing the wheel hub unit.

In it is in the front, you can do most of the work by removing the knuckle. You'll need to take the knuckle to a shop to have the bad bearing pressed out and the new bearing pressed in.

Old 06-30-2008, 07:33 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Put the stock wheels back on to rule that out. It is sometimes helpful to drive past someone standing outside the car, who can listen from outside and try to localize the noise. Also you can jack up the wheels and turn them by hand to check for noisy bearings.

Old 07-01-2008, 05:42 AM
HCF Member

I had a similar situation with my front driver's wheel. I put it up on jacks, took off the wheel and started to turn it. I was able to reproduce the sound. I then proceeded to remove the calipers and the rotor and on the center of back side of the rotor where it connects to the hub, it was all rusted and lots of pieces of rusted metal were all around. i cleaned it up and now it's not making any noise. I presume that if the bearings are bad, usually the sound will be consistently produced. is that a correct presumption?

Old 07-01-2008, 06:21 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Yeah if you have a noisy wheel, the next step is to take the brake parts off and spin again to rule out the brake.

Old 07-01-2008, 07:33 AM

if you have bigger rims most likly you have directional tires double check they are facing the right way. it sounds stupid but after 17 strait hours working on my cari did it. it made quite a bit of noise with the tread facing the wrong way.

Old 07-01-2008, 12:59 PM

Mundy,

It will only do it above 25/27. Last night "real late" I took off the weels and swapped them now the car rides better but the growl is still there. I took it to a tuner shop in East Point and they could not look @ it but said if the growl stopped when I made sudden turns it's not the weel bearing's so on I wen't and sure as he said ............... it still makes the noise when I turn. I know I can mechanicly fix this but I need someone's sure advice before I dive into this or I'll just flippen replace everything and drop a ton of coin.

Thank you for your help,

Steven

Old 07-01-2008, 01:03 PM

Scott,

It has the tires your talking about and i did make sure of that but funny you should say that because the bone head that i bought the car from had two differant tires on the front and when I changed them there was a big differance "but the noise is still there"

Thank you,

Steven

Quick Reply: Growling noise?