Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

hand break and rear breaks

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 02:59 PM
Default hand break and rear breaks

Hehe, third post in ten minutes.

I have a hand break issue. seems to be loose. How do i tighten it?

Also i would like to have my breaks be more effective towards the back of the car. Like 40% front 60% rear. Can I change that on my own? If so how? If not, how do I do it on my own, lol? The front tires and breaks seem to be wearing quickly during my training and I know it is because I don't know how to break properly yet but at the same time I am used to having more breaking in the back and it is starting to feel scary. It already caused me to crash and I just don't like it. Please help!

Old 02-16-2008, 03:25 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: hand break and rear breaks

Here's how to adjust the parking brake:

Old 02-16-2008, 03:46 PM

ORIGINAL: RonJ

Here's how to adjust the parking brake:

Wow that seems kind of complicated, lol. Ill give this a try and get back to you. May be a week.

Any info on how to move the break's force more to the rear?

Old 02-16-2008, 03:56 PM
Recognized HCF Member

I don't think it would be wise to attempt any manual re-adjustments of your brake system.

Old 02-16-2008, 04:55 PM
Recognized HCF Member

If you have rear drums, take your drums off and inspect that the rear brakes are staying in adjustment. If a self adjuster quits working that will cause the hand brake handle to become loose and also reduce the effectiveness of the rear brakes in normal stops.

The front tires on any front wheel drive car are going to wear faster because they do most of the work. All of the power, all of the turning, and most of the stopping. There is only so much that the rear brakes can do because the weight of the car effectively shifts to the front during a stop, thus the rear wheels tend to lose traction.

Old 02-17-2008, 08:32 AM

ORIGINAL: mk378

If you have rear drums, take your drums off and inspect that the rear brakes are staying in adjustment. If a self adjuster quits working that will cause the hand brake handle to become loose and also reduce the effectiveness of the rear brakes in normal stops.

The front tires on any front wheel drive car are going to wear faster because they do most of the work. All of the power, all of the turning, and most of the stopping. There is only so much that the rear brakes can do because the weight of the car effectively shifts to the front during a stop, thus the rear wheels tend to lose traction.
Oh, I know all that I just needed to move it back there a bit more than it is. It feels like it is literally at 10%. Would like to have it at least to 40% because I am just used to driving with more breaking in the rear.

Old 02-17-2008, 09:12 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Replace the rear pads and, if necessary, the rotors. When they are functioning properly, you are likely to be more satisfied with the braking performance of your Civic.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:07 AM

ORIGINAL: RonJ

Replace the rear pads and, if necessary, the rotors. When they are functioning properly, you are likely to be more satisfied with the braking performance of your Civic.
But see that is the thing. The rear rotors and break pads are fine. They just are not what I am used to driving. This is why I need them pushed more to the rear. It is just how I grew up driving.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:07 AM

bump for additional help.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:13 AM
mxs
HCF Member

What car are you used to driving that has a 40% rear bias?!

Quick Reply: hand break and rear breaks