Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Head gasket rad Fluid Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 03:36 PM
Default Head gasket rad Fluid Issue

I have a 1983 Honda Civic with 40,000 original miles on it. 1500cc and auto.

I had the head gasket replaced due to rad fluid in the exhaust three times along with the head once. It has happened again after 300 miles so I am doing it myself this time to be sure it is done right. Twice the head was pressure tested and planed by NAPA. Third time it was a remanufactured head from a firm in Texas. Each time it got a new manifold gasket. I think it is mostly no3 piston that is messing up and missing.

The only cause I know for radiator fluid in the exhaust is cracked head, cracked block, and blown gaskett. Are there others?

Are there other reasons for a blown head gasket which in turn causes the leaky fluid?

Can back pressure from a faulty catalytic converter cause this problem?.

What I am getting is a lot of rad fluid in the exhaust. The fluid level drops as well as the oil and it smokes like heck.I cannot see the car behind me at times. I get some rad fluid in the oil but not a large amount. I see no oil in the rad fluid at all. I have a oil leak from under the transmission so this accounts for some of the oil leak but I think some is headed out the back too.

I do have the original head bolts and plan to use them again. I want to add 4 extra pounds of torque. Will this work and help the old stretch bolts hold better?

I asked questions and good answers will be appreciated. If there is something else please feel free to respond. Something I didnt say about my car or something I don't know.

I should be getting the head off tomorrow for pressure testing although it is almost a new head, only 300 miles. I plan to replace the main oil seal as the next project.

Joe.

Old 03-16-2008, 03:58 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Head gasket rad Fluid Issue

I am no head or head gasket expert, but can you give more information about why you think cylinder 3 is the culprit? Is it possible that where the block meets the head, the block is slightly warped around cylinder 3 causing the problem you describe?

Old 03-17-2008, 04:23 AM

When I took the plug out and turned it over rad fluid sprayed out of the plug hole. Also top of piston is washed clean.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:10 AM

Problems w the block are possible. I dont know easy wat to check.

Old 05-04-2008, 01:08 PM

I almost have the head off my 83. Almost isthe key word. There are 2 bolts between the manifolds, how do I get those off?

Old 05-04-2008, 01:56 PM

reach up from underneath.

hard to reach. A socket with a head that twists in funny ways. and a bent handle.

or take it lose from the ehaust pipe and take it off all at once. I broke the exhaust studs off doing this.

manual says put head back on by itself but a lot do it with manifolds attached. I plan to do it without the manifolds ont there/.

Old 05-04-2008, 03:17 PM

I dropped the whole exhaust from the manifold, it all came out in 1 piece!I also removed all of the head bolts. There is one bolt on the front/center of the head with the gear on top....That is the oil pump right??? Do I have to pull that before I pull the head? I was able to lift it up enough to get the bolt out so I left it as is. Also does the distributor need to be pulled from the head or can I leave it connected? I'm going to eat some dinner and relax the rest of today. Thanks for the tips and info it is much appreciated.

Old 05-05-2008, 01:28 PM

yes yes and yes.

dont bend the oil pump shaft. I believe that is the drive shaft for the oil pump which is down below in the oil pan. I think it runs off the rocker arms. There is a small hole inside that should not be clogged up. Oil squirts out through it. Take it out first.

Yes the distrubutor should come out before the head is removed. There was verbage in my manual about getting it set just right to stick back in. Firing on piston 1 I recall but that is reassembly.

I set my engine to TDC before I started disassembly.

If you are taking the head to a shop they rquire all the stuff like sensors and rocker arms to be removed form the head but not the valves.

They said take plugs out first.

One head bolt was shorter than the rest (at least on my car) be sure it goes back in the correct hole if you have one.

There was a sequence in loosing the bolts you were supposed to follow to avoid warping the head. The same for tightening I think.

Old 05-05-2008, 02:23 PM

Is finding TDC really that important. I am not going to crank the motor and I have marked timing belt and gear in 3 spots. I am not going to machine the head either, just going to pull it, clean it and replace it. I really wish someone local had a chiltons/haynes manual. I ordered one but It wont be here untill Friday. Thanks again for your info cachenut.

Old 05-05-2008, 02:32 PM
Recognized HCF Member

This may help:

http://hondatech.info/downloads/Auto/Manuals/Civic/

Quick Reply: Head gasket rad Fluid Issue