HondaCivicForum.com

HondaCivicForum.com (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/)
-   Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat-8/)
-   -   head-waterpump? (https://www.hondacivicforum.com/forum/mechanical-problems-technical-chat-8/head-waterpump-84742/)

knots 08-16-2010 07:46 AM

head-waterpump?

I drive 95 honda civic 1.5 . I have read a few post about overheating. The 1st thing I did was changed. Hoses . I took the thermostat out. I live 20 miles from work. I can drive to work -9 hours later drive home without overheating! While at work if I go anywhere it overheats . When car gets hot both radiator hoses r hot ,the overflow is still full . No water leaks found anywhere! I have I have done the bleed system ! What is the deal? Waterpump ,head bad ?no water in oil

Big Mick 08-16-2010 07:53 AM

well first check you water level and replace a thermostat do not take it out it helps in cooling in the way it make a restrain so the water has enough time to cool in the radiator, check your car does not use up the water if it does it probably has a blown head gasket. hope this helps.
:)

knots 08-16-2010 08:08 AM

Thanks for the insite ill put a thermastat back in and see if that works thanks

Big Mick 08-16-2010 10:06 AM

ok, hope this helps, how ever you can buy a lower temp. thermostat like instead of a 190F you can get a 180F or 170F the thermostat will open sooner and your engine should run a bit cooler.

lofg0030 08-16-2010 12:00 PM

The thermostat won't do anything if you already have a blown head. One thing I would do is: hydrocarbon emissions test.

lofg0030 08-16-2010 12:22 PM

And just to CLARIFY...a hydrocarbon emissions test is a diagnostic tool used to determine if there is hydrocarbons mixing in your coolant...if you have a hydrocarbon reading from your coolant, chances are good that you've got mixture in combustion.

mk378 08-16-2010 07:17 PM

Both hoses hot-- the fan should be on. Is it? Fan not working will lead to overheating in traffic, but OK on the highway. At speed, you don't need a fan because the motion of the car forces air through the radiator.

knots 08-17-2010 04:28 AM

So far so good, I'm gona take car to the store at break,will see then . The fan works fine. The hydrocarbon? Would that kinda be like putting a hose down the radiator and looking for bubbles ?lol. I'm from the stix. Thax for all the insite. I'll get back after break

mk378 08-17-2010 04:55 AM

The hydrocarbon test is to analyze any bubbles from the radiator and see if it's cylinder leakage, or just trapped air. Sometimes it is hard to conclude for sure on a small leak. If on the other hand lots of coolant and gas blows out of the radiator like a geyser when you rev the engine (cold) with the cap off, it's definitely a head gasket problem. That test you can do yourself.

knots 08-17-2010 05:27 AM

Ok I said it wrong I live in the stix not from the stix . I did a test to see if the head had water in it. While car was hot I took a spark plug out , to look for steam ,which I didn't see any . I'm not sure if I'm aloud to say that cuz of the rules