Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

head-waterpump?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 07:46 AM
Exclamation head-waterpump?

I drive 95 honda civic 1.5 . I have read a few post about overheating. The 1st thing I did was changed. Hoses . I took the thermostat out. I live 20 miles from work. I can drive to work -9 hours later drive home without overheating! While at work if I go anywhere it overheats . When car gets hot both radiator hoses r hot ,the overflow is still full . No water leaks found anywhere! I have I have done the bleed system ! What is the deal? Waterpump ,head bad ?no water in oil

Old 08-16-2010, 07:53 AM
HCF Member

well first check you water level and replace a thermostat do not take it out it helps in cooling in the way it make a restrain so the water has enough time to cool in the radiator, check your car does not use up the water if it does it probably has a blown head gasket. hope this helps.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:08 AM

Thanks for the insite ill put a thermastat back in and see if that works thanks

Old 08-16-2010, 10:06 AM
HCF Member

ok, hope this helps, how ever you can buy a lower temp. thermostat like instead of a 190F you can get a 180F or 170F the thermostat will open sooner and your engine should run a bit cooler.

Old 08-16-2010, 12:00 PM

The thermostat won't do anything if you already have a blown head. One thing I would do is: hydrocarbon emissions test.

Old 08-16-2010, 12:22 PM

And just to CLARIFY...a hydrocarbon emissions test is a diagnostic tool used to determine if there is hydrocarbons mixing in your coolant...if you have a hydrocarbon reading from your coolant, chances are good that you've got mixture in combustion.

Old 08-16-2010, 07:17 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Both hoses hot-- the fan should be on. Is it? Fan not working will lead to overheating in traffic, but OK on the highway. At speed, you don't need a fan because the motion of the car forces air through the radiator.

Old 08-17-2010, 04:28 AM

So far so good, I'm gona take car to the store at break,will see then . The fan works fine. The hydrocarbon? Would that kinda be like putting a hose down the radiator and looking for bubbles ?lol. I'm from the stix. Thax for all the insite. I'll get back after break

Old 08-17-2010, 04:55 AM
Recognized HCF Member

The hydrocarbon test is to analyze any bubbles from the radiator and see if it's cylinder leakage, or just trapped air. Sometimes it is hard to conclude for sure on a small leak. If on the other hand lots of coolant and gas blows out of the radiator like a geyser when you rev the engine (cold) with the cap off, it's definitely a head gasket problem. That test you can do yourself.

Old 08-17-2010, 05:27 AM

Ok I said it wrong I live in the stix not from the stix . I did a test to see if the head had water in it. While car was hot I took a spark plug out , to look for steam ,which I didn't see any . I'm not sure if I'm aloud to say that cuz of the rules

Quick Reply: head-waterpump?