Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Header install

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 11:05 PM
HCF Member
Default Header install

My Megan Racing header came today and I'm ready to install it myself. I'm also going to be installing energy susp bushings, and a B&M short shifter at the same time. I want to get this done as soon as possible, so I might try tomorrow after I bring my girlfriend home. I haven't done any project to my car to the extent of this, I have only done simple things like oil changes, sri intake install and such. So I want to make sure I got all the knowledge I need and tools to try to limit any frustrations.....

Header install
I got PB blaster stuff for the rusty bolts connecting the manifold to converter, metal wire brush, and hacksaw if need be.
3/8" ratchet socket set, breaker bar, and torque wrench (craftsman, torque wrench cost me $73)
I believe all necessary hardware came with the header, hopefully wont need an extension for the o2 sensor

I heard that it's wise to put anti seize or something on the header? Could someone elaborate more on that if they know? Also is there a DIY on here for installing a header, especially for a 6th gen civic?
Any other things I missed out that I should include with the header installation?

Short shifter install, Bushings
I found a good site that shows stepby step on installing short shifters with a lot of pics, also a good one on here
I got a whole set of punch's and wedges
All necessary hardware and lubricant included with items, I believe/hope

Anything I'm missing or should knowof with the bushings, and shifter install? I should install the bushings first then the shifter right? I'm hopeing once I take it apart it'll be easier to figure out.

I'mplanning to take a lot of pics while I do all this. I might make a DIY for 6th gen civics/EX for the header.

Old 03-28-2007, 07:26 AM
Laced with Sarcasm
Default RE: Header install

Both are very straight forward installs, and it sounds like you're prepared. Good luck and have fun!

Old 03-28-2007, 07:35 AM
HCF Member

good luck man, you're much more prepared then i was haha looks like you've got that on lock down. post pics!

Old 03-28-2007, 07:51 AM
June 2010 ROTM

For the bolt that holds the shifter to the linkage (underneath the car), use two nuts. (That is, if you aren't already) I used what they gave me short bolt a one nut. 6 months later my car didn't go into 1st, 4th, 5th, or reverse. That's because the damn nut came off and LUCKILY the bolt was barely hanging on. Also, luckly I was in the parking lot of a hardware store. I went in, picked up a longer bolt and TWO nuts. The two nuts can lock together just like the perches on lowering springs, if you have those. Other than that, you're set! Have fun!

Old 03-28-2007, 07:54 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

heh, slightly overkill.. I would first use the hardware provided, and torque to spec

Old 03-28-2007, 07:57 AM
June 2010 ROTM

I did. I new the bolt they gave me initially was too short, but I thought, eh, they know what they're doing. Errr, wrong, oh well. I'd rather have put the second nut on in the first place then feel salty underneath my car at a freakin' hardware store.

Old 03-28-2007, 01:01 PM
HCF Member

what about the anti seize stuff? Should I get some for the 02 sensor?

danomatic93 was that name brand stuff that you used?

Old 03-28-2007, 01:09 PM
June 2010 ROTM

I got eBay billet aluminum short throw shifter (blue). I don't remember it being a name brand. The nuts and bolts, now THIS is overkill, are grade 8 nuts and bolts.

As for the anti-seize, you can if you want, but I'm not too sure that (1) you'll need to replace the O2 sensor for the rest of the life of the car and (2) it prolly won't do any good.

Old 03-28-2007, 01:11 PM
HCF Member

yea i say dont worry about the anti seize sutff. Just tighten eveyrhint down to specs and you hsould be good. The anti seize stuff might ruin your o2 sensor if it gets into the actual sensor itself, and if you ever want to replace the sensor you'll be kicking yourself.

Old 03-28-2007, 06:31 PM
HCF Member

Do I need a special socket for the o2 sensor? I saw a DIY on honda-tech.com where someone used this huge black thing, he said it was a little fat for it though and he had to grind it down or something....

Quick Reply: Header install