Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Headlight adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 07:18 AM
Default Headlight adjustment

Just bought a 1998 EX Coupe. Noticed the drivers headlight shines too low and the passenger side shines too high. Looked for an adjustment but didn't see anything. Did notice an elec motor on the back of the headlight assy. What's it for? Does it adj the headlight aiming somehow?

Thx.

Old 09-06-2005, 01:58 PM
Default RE: Headlight adjustment

Went and looked at the headlights again (with daylight this time). There's not an elec motor behind the headlight but there are some plastic gears. Looks like some kind of special tool is needed to adjust this mechanism. Still not sure what it does. Looks like it may adj the little reflector in front of the bulb. Anyone adj'ed this mechanism before??

Thx.

Old 09-06-2005, 04:58 PM
mxs
HCF Member

You know I was going to reply to this the other day because my headlight went out and I was going to replace and adjust it. Turns out it was just unplugged so I didn't have to do anything. I did look in the Haynes manual and they show the up/down and the left/right adjusters, but they point to one on the drivers side and one on the passenger side. I looked and I can't figure it out either. I did see those plastic gears though.

Someone must know...

Old 09-06-2005, 08:42 PM
HCF Member

that special tool you need is a phillips screwdriver.... at least thats the way it is on my 95

Old 09-07-2005, 07:19 AM

You're right xjbmx. I was looking at it again last night and noticed a loong #2 phillips screwdriver would engage the metal gear and the plastic pieces act as a guide for the screwdriver. (Gotta be carefull adjusting the drivers side in the dark with eng running. The power steering pulley is pretty close!!)

I could only find one adj for each headlight (the side-to-side one I think). I also noticed there is a small bubble level inside the headlight assy when you look straight down thru the top. If I can find the UP-DOWN adjustment and some level ground, I think I'll be in business.

Old 09-20-2005, 06:47 AM

Found and adjusted the vertical adjuster. It's located on the other side of the main lamp; outboard of the side-to-side adjusters. My pass side headlight no longer provides anti-aircraft ops, but my fellow drivers do seem to appreciate it.

Old 09-20-2005, 11:29 AM

ORIGINAL: zz28zz

Found and adjusted the vertical adjuster. It's located on the other side of the main lamp; outboard of the side-to-side adjusters. My pass side headlight no longer provides anti-aircraft ops, but my fellow drivers do seem to appreciate it.
[sm=funnypostabove.gif]

haha well my car sounds like a b-17 bomber, so maybe you're looking to spot me on my night run and shoot me down...

Old 06-21-2010, 07:26 PM

Great information!

But I have another question to add.

BTW this is my first reply/question on this site. I've enjoyed it's use and finally decided to register!

My 97 HX hit a deer before I bought it so it's pretty tweaked in the front.

I recently bought two new lenses and bulbs (silverstar) and am happy with how they work.

However, when I unplugged the drivers side headlight, the harness looked pretty ugly inside. There was some tan colored goo! :? I cleaned it off the best I could and everything worked well.

But the drivers side light is far brighter than the left. They are both bright but the right is brighter on the low beam and extremely brighter in the high beam.

I've read to check the ground and cable elsewhere on the interwebs is this recommended?

I'm happy with my first Honda!

Thank you for all of the help fellow enthusiasts!

Old 06-22-2010, 04:47 AM
Recognized HCF Member

The goo is there on purpose to try and keep water out and prevent corrosion of the connection. It is harmless.

Measure the voltage at the bulb and check voltage from the black wire to true ground (battery -) with the lights on. There is a grounding connection on each side of the car that grounds all the lights on that side.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:30 PM
HCF Member

i have angel projectors and when i turn my brights on my left on aims down and right on aims up. how can i fix that?

Quick Reply: Headlight adjustment