Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

HELP: civic idling problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 03:49 PM
Default HELP: civic idling problems

ive got a 1992 civic hatchback with a greddy turbo kit, and it just recentley started getting cold outside... i dont know if this relates to my problem in any way but when i turn the car on it runs fine, but after a little while it revs high then low, high then low, repeatedly. this also happens when im on the clutch at a light or something. after a little research i think it might be the ICM (igniters) but i really dont know much about cars so i just wanted to get a firm answer before i spend my money

Old 11-28-2007, 03:58 PM
Default RE: HELP: civic idling problems

sounds like it could possibly be a vacuum leak.

Old 11-28-2007, 09:43 PM

is it an expensive fix?

Old 11-28-2007, 10:49 PM
HCF Member

Or maybe your idle air control valve....You can take it off and clean it with electrical cleaner sold at a local auto parts. This part controls your RPM's

Old 11-29-2007, 06:50 AM

Yea, it's definantly vaccum or that Idle Air Control. Same problem with 89 Civic DX... You can also try adjusting your throttle cable/timing @ distributor to tone it down a notch until you can fix it properly. Mine was really annoying to the point where I had to lift my gas pedal to get it to chill out, so I adjusted the throttle cable until I could fix it right. :/

Old 11-29-2007, 09:20 AM

what engine is in the car ?

Old 11-29-2007, 07:09 PM

i think its a d15b8.... will i have to take it to the shop or is it an easy fix that i can just do in my garage, and if so can someone gimme a quick run-through on how to do it... thanks

Old 11-29-2007, 07:26 PM
Recognized HCF Member

try cleaning out your IACV, its the thingy on the back of the intake manifold, little round bolted on thingy. its held on by two 12mm bolts i bolieve, and look at the screen when you take it off, its probably clogged with black cracp and just take some carb cleaner to it.

Old 11-29-2007, 09:00 PM

sick, ill have to check that out tomorrow, thanks.
also one more thing, i justgot the car a little while ago, but the guy i got it from said he just put in a new gear bushing, and i cant really use first gearyet until its worked in (i tried it once and it grinded). so ive just been sitting in my car pushing it in and out offirst. is this guy bull****ting me or does it sound plausible. and if so is there a faster way to work it in?

and is this what the IACV looks like?

Old 11-29-2007, 09:53 PM

Well, i have 1994 civic lx and i live in MN, right when i leave for school my idles goes up and down a bit, just from like 1.5k to 2k but after my car gets warm it stops..

Quick Reply: HELP: civic idling problems