Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Help! Gearing behaving strangely...

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 02:47 AM
HCF Member
Default Help! Gearing behaving strangely...

Okay, im not sure what this is down to, but im pretty sure its not bad clutch work!

1) reverse gear is occaisionally impossible to get in to (I think this is due to that gear not having synchromesh, but i have noticed my car is a lot more tricksy than most)

2) If i go up to around 5,500 rpm or any higher and change gear, it occaisionally grinds horribly and then goes in. The first time this happened I was trying to shift quickly and thought it was just down topoor clutching. Then It happened a second time when I wasnt in so much of a rush. So I have been keeping an eye on it and once tried a **** where the clutch was plastered to the floor, and then I shifted and still it grinded into place. This problem doesnt happen all the time but it is getting a bit more frequent.

3) First gear is tricky to get in to...

Shagged gear box? Or clutch in need of replacement? Or any other suggestions? This is about as much info as I think I can get...

Old 10-24-2007, 12:40 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Help! Gearing behaving strangely...

Check the clutch fluid level first of all. You may not have enough to fully disengage it. Or even if the fluid is not low, your clutch master cylinder is weak. Does pumping the clutch pedal make it easier to get into first or reverse?

Old 10-24-2007, 02:13 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well if its in ONLY while shifting that high and 1stgear id say its the trany
just be easier on the RPMs when shifting... give it a second to to slow down before shifting.... shifting hard like that will trash the syncros alot quicker...

tho could just be a bad tranny now.... i had a old 86crx that was HELL to get into 1st gear!!!!!!! and grinded EVERYTIME i put it in reverse!
i asumed its syncroes where all trashed... and sometimes second was hard to get into as well...
tho i never fixed it. i just skiped 1st gear all the time and tried not to park where reverse would be needed.LOL like either make gravity your friend or just push the sucker backwards by having my foot out the door.LOL
and well it worked at least. drove it for like 6months like that before selling it....
if it ONLY happens in those gears id say its the tranny not the clutch......

try to find a used good tranny... or think about rebuilding yours. would be cheaper if you could remove the tranny out of the car and just carry it into a trany rebuild shop and have em rebuild it. you could posibly rebuild it yourself BUT if you want to be sure everything is perfect id pay tot have it rebuilt....

Old 10-24-2007, 07:55 PM
Recognized HCF Member

If reverse grinds severely with the car sitting still and the clutch pedal all the way down, the problem is the clutch, not the transmission.

Old 10-25-2007, 02:18 AM
HCF Member

Yeh reverse grinds pretty much every time, sometimes I can feel its going to be hard to go in, lift the clutch, and then put it down again and it goes in a bit easier, but usually still grinds. General opinion seems to be a fooked clutch?

Old 10-25-2007, 02:58 AM

try replacing the tranny fluid, mine was doing exacthy the same, and i decided to change it, the old fluid was dark and sludgy, after putting new tranny fluid it felt like a new transmission

Old 10-25-2007, 05:15 AM
HCF Member

Okay coooool, sounds like a project for the weekend! Is changing transmission fluid difficult?

Old 10-25-2007, 09:59 AM

its not to hard....there is a thread on on it...check the DIY's there is a really good description of all the tools you need, and the materials...good luck....let us know if it helps or not.

Old 10-25-2007, 10:05 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Again folks, if your car grinds while trying to go into reverse, that is because the input shaft of the transmission is still turning because the clutch is not (fully) disengaged. There is no synchronzer on reverse. That gear will only engage quietly while both shafts of the transmission are stopped.

When pumping the clutch pedal makes it easier to get into gear, that probably means you need a new clutch master cylinder. Similar to how a car with a brake master cylinder going bad will stop better by pumping the brakes.

Old 10-25-2007, 10:50 AM

http://www.clubcivic.com/board/trann...t106608p2.html

that tells you how to change your fluid
remember to use only honda MTF

Quick Reply: Help! Gearing behaving strangely...