Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Help just seafoamed now terrible stumble

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2007, 06:41 PM
Default Help just seafoamed now terrible stumble

Hey I just seafoamed my 94 ex 1.6 and tons of smoke came out per what it says....I did it like the bullitin said 1/3 in the tank, 1/3 in the crankcase, 1/3 through the FPR line....I went to take it for a ride and it has a horrible stumble between 1500 and almost 4k Then bamn the car runs great.....Took it for a highway ride thinkin it might need to be cleared out but the problem is still there down low....Comming back from a dead stop it didnt do it all all the way through the rpms but next time from a start it did it...So it seems to be a problem happening more then less....The car didnt have any spudders like this prior to the seamfoam....Any ideas where to start? Thanks alot

Old 03-22-2007, 07:01 PM
Default RE: Help just seafoamed now terrible stumble

Just took it for another ride, seems to be getting worse. At a stop now the car is sputtering at idle feels like the motor is kickin...Hope this is something that will pass.....As of right now still no check engine light

Old 03-22-2007, 07:08 PM

could be a clogged cat. converter...and i highly suggest changing ur oil real soon, it'll sludge up the oil and make ur car run even worse.

Old 03-22-2007, 07:12 PM

color me idiotic, but what the heck does seafoam do again?

Old 03-22-2007, 07:28 PM

Ya the cat I think might be the problem when i put the windows down and listened i could hear sputtering near it and air leakin out...The cat back on the car is only 2 weeks old ...Could the seafoam kill the cat like that just that quick?

Old 03-22-2007, 07:30 PM

ORIGINAL: Fiasco

color me idiotic, but what the heck does seafoam do again?Supposed to clean the intake and stuff out to make it run better and idle better....Or in my case pretty much kill a perfectly good running car [:@]

Old 03-22-2007, 07:43 PM
HCF Member

I had this happen on my truck. I have NO idea if a civic from 1994 has one, but when I did it it fouled up my TPS (throttle positioning sensor), had the exact same symptoms as you describe. New sensor, problem went away. I was throwing a code though, so easy to figure out the fix.

Old 03-22-2007, 08:08 PM
HCF Member

it could of loosen some debri up and deposited it deeper into the engine, or exhaust.

What I would do is use a little more through the FPR again. Not too much just a little, and don't gas it to suck it in quicker.Then shut it off immediately after you put it in. Restart 10 min later, and throttle it good...drive up hills, or just rev it high to get the remnaints out.

Your cat-converter might also be clogged, it should right itself after you drive it for a lil bit. Did a check engine light come on? Should be fine if it hasn't.