Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Help with minime swap!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 01:08 PM
Default Help with minime swap!!

So first of all, I have an ek 96dx honda civic coupe. It came stock with the d16y7 motor. I snapped a head stud on the intake side while putting on a zc manififold, found a d16y8 head for cheap so decided that would be easier. Boy was I wrong. Replaced head gasket, torqued everything down correctly. But has issues. I have not wired up vtec yet. And i did not rewire the iacv to the back of the manifold. i reused the d16y7 throttle body for the meantime ( just for transportation) but had a real high idle about 3k+!! I could possibly have a vaccum leak but not 100% sure, due to the fact that my car is in New Mexico, and I am in maryland for the summer. So this is just for information purposes, this is the first time i've messed around with a 4 cylinder. But when I was messing around with it when i used the ex ecu that came with the d16y8 head it put the car in like a "limp mode" idiling at 2K, but when i gave it gas, it would die out. The same thing happened when i tried using a gsr throttle body with either ecu. The car runs at 3k with the dx ecu.
I'm really just trying to get some ideas so when I get back home I know what to expect.
The main questions I need answered are: Do you HAVE to have a vtec distributor with the vtec head? I assumed the d16y7 and d16y8 ones were the same.
I know that threre is Vtec and Iacv rewiring to do on the ecu and I have a printout for this at home.
Do I HAVE to have a Knock Sensor? I know the d16y8 block has one but the d16y7 does not. So that being said. Should i switch to obd1?? With an obd1 distributor?
Also i do have the gsr throttle body which is obd1 i believe, and i inttend to use this once the car is running well.
I am also running after market header and exhaust if that makes a difference, i'm only using 1 02 sensor.
Try to get back to me about this if you have done this before, time is not an issue. Thanks, Brendon Bond

Old 06-05-2009, 10:43 PM
Chubby Chaser

the issue you said with it idleing at 2k and when you give it gas and it die's out. i had that problem when i swaped non vtec to vtec come to find out my harness plugs on manifold were plugged up to wrong sensor. switched plugs and it worked great.
the plugs that i had backwards were on the intake manifold one of them i rember was the tps senor and something else they have same type of plug.

Old 06-06-2009, 08:45 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Yeah a major runnability issue like that I would look for sensors miswired like 94 said. Vacuum leak will also cause a high idle. It should run perfectly with a VTEC head yet all the old non-VTEC components except the head. Other than that of course the VTEC will never kick in...

Old 06-07-2009, 05:13 PM
HCF Member

Tps and map sensors have the same plug also what helped me was pperfecting my timing and a new fuel filter and I had to match my dizzy with my head but if yours line up it should be fine