Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Help needed with my civic I know nothing about

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 09:40 PM
Default Help needed with my civic I know nothing about

I have a 1994 EX Coupe.
Its got some type of vtec engine, I'm not sure what it is exactly.
Its also got:
Ractive Headers
IPT Injectors-I'm assuming are stock?
K&N True Cold Air Intake
Magnaflow Catback Muffler-I'm not sure if its a full Magnaflow setup, I think it has a different brand from the headers back.
Full coil over setup, but they have been dropped as low as they could go and it was driven like that for about a year.
There's an aluminum bar going across the top of the back of the engine, im assuming its a sway bar or something like that.
Theres also another bar in the trunk.
The car has been sitting for about a year now.
I believe it was hit in the back lightly, and there is a loud clanking noise near the back right end of the car, i think it might be the shock or spring.
I'm not really sure where to start but it was basically handed to me so if anyone has any advice for what I should do It would be appreciated, I plan on geting it running tomorrow so help would be nice.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:48 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Help needed with my civic I know nothing about

what does it sound like? it might be the shock

Old 05-23-2008, 09:55 PM

I think thats what it is, but with the coil overs not being set would that **** anything up?
I just need to know if its worth putting a little money into.
The engine is rebuilt with about 50000 miles on it.

Old 05-24-2008, 06:28 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Might the noise be coming from the exhaust system or muffler?

Old 05-24-2008, 09:08 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: btandoz

I believe it was hit in the back lightly, and there is a loud clanking noise near the back right end of the car, i think it might be the shock or spring.
I'm not really sure where to start but it was basically handed to me so if anyone has any advice for what I should do It would be appreciated, I plan on geting it running tomorrow so help would be nice.
I wonder if you can check the springs and shocks by pressing down on the back of the car to see if there is any noise. Also lift up the back of the car and see if there is any noise and/or damage in the exhaust. you can also move it around and see if you hear any of the noise.

Old 05-24-2008, 06:30 PM

I think it is the shock, but when I push down on the back the noise doesnt happen, its only when I hit a bump.

Old 05-25-2008, 10:14 AM
HCF Member

again what you are saying is not conclusive. you can eliminate the exhaust system by lifting it up in the back and getting under there to see if there is any damage to the exhaust. The bump can cause either or both of them to make noise so it's not really helpful.

Old 05-25-2008, 12:31 PM

I know its not the exhaust I looked under it today, but I still cant tell what around there would make a noise like that. It's only the right rear side that makes the noise.

Old 05-25-2008, 12:40 PM

I really also think it's your exhaust. I mean, you couldn't get the shocks to make the noise, and what else is in that part of the car that has a tendency on civics to rattle? Exhaust.

I think I know what the clanking is. Look where your exhaust pipe goes by the gas tank and over the lower control arm, and also in the 's' bend. Before I took my old civic to the shop to get the muffler guys to fix it, it was not fitted good and it was rattling/clanking against the gas tank. Make sure the exhaust pipe is not coming in contact with any of the chassis. Also check your heatshields that are behind the exhaust pipes and make sure they aren't loose.

Old 05-25-2008, 12:44 PM

ORIGINAL: btandoz

I have a 1994 EX Coupe.
Its got some type of vtec engine, I'm not sure what it is exactly.
Its also got:
Ractive Headers
IPT Injectors-I'm assuming are stock?
K&N True Cold Air Intake
Magnaflow Catback Muffler-I'm not sure if its a full Magnaflow setup, I think it has a different brand from the headers back.
Full coil over setup, but they have been dropped as low as they could go and it was driven like that for about a year.
There's an aluminum bar going across the top of the back of the engine, im assuming its a sway bar or something like that.
Theres also another bar in the trunk.
engine: D16Z6

front aluminum bar over engine: upper front strut bar
bar in the trunk: rear upper strut bar (both these bars are for chassis reinforcement and improve handling)

All in all, once you get it running, it sounds like a good car to start out with and modifying. Looks like you already have a few of the upgrades which is good so you can move on to other stuff. Also, if you don't have them already, you should get performance shocks/struts, and some nice 15" or 16" racing rims, and a high flow catalytic converter. Do you plan on staying N/A or are you gonna turbo that beast? If you can afford to it'd be a real nice upgrade. After those upgrades i listed above, you should turbo it, as long as the engine is in good enough shape, and you have the money.
Then you might consider a front lip, and some Si style taillights, and some black OEM style headlights if you need/want new headlights. You might do eBay OEM type foglights too. Sounds exciting. Congrats on the EG civic... by far the best generation of civic... EG FTW!

Quick Reply: Help needed with my civic I know nothing about