Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help please!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 07:54 PM
Default Help please!

Howdy, Im new to the forum here and pretty much joined because I need some help with my EG. I have a 95 DX and currently it will not start. It has been sitting for a while (few weeks) and wont start. The battery is fine and the starter will crank all day and I can smell excess gas when I crank it so I know its getting fuel. I was wondering if therer were any suggestions/previous eperiences that yall may be able to share with me. It rained yesterday, if that helps and the last time I started it it started up fine, It just wont fire anymore. Oh it was also on a slight incline (15 degrees).

Thanks Guys

Old 08-07-2006, 08:29 PM
Default RE: Help please!

sorry if I am coming off as an ***, I was just wondering. I want to sell the car and I know that I can get a lot more with the motor running. I just had surgery last month on my shoulder (reconstructive) and wont be able to touch a standard for 6 months to a year. So if yall know anyone who wants a clean DX shell let me know! Also, does anyone know a good price I should put on the car in running and nonrunning condition?

Old 08-07-2006, 09:36 PM

My friend had this problem with his 91 Accord. He let it sit and then tried to start it. Even with a brand new battery, it wouldn't start the day after he installed it.

Your problem: The ignition system. Yeah, you'll hear the engine crank and it'll stink like gas. It'll crank and stink all day, as much as you can turn that key. However, I bet if you pulled one of the spark plug wires and hooked it up to a new plug and checked for a spark, you wouldn't see anything.

What you need to do is replace the spark plugs (unless you pull your current ones and they look ok), the ignition wires (to be sure), the distributer cap, the distributer rotor, and maybe the fuel filter (just because it's been sitting).
This should cost you, if you can hit the bargain basement, anywhere from $150 to $250.

We never actually got to fix the car ourselves. He just had the damn thing towed and donated to charity because he didn't want to deal with it (it wasn't insured or inspected either, so we couldn't drive it even if we got it started).

Old 08-07-2006, 10:27 PM

I might try the cap and rotor and plugs, thats only 45 bucks at the autozone. Thanks a lot, if any one else has any suggestions let me know. Oh and I will check the plugs BEFORE I go and get the cap and rotor.

Old 08-07-2006, 10:42 PM
HCF Member

check your timing - probably the timing belt slipped.
you can easily rigg up a spark checker to see if you have spark (also).

Old 08-08-2006, 07:00 PM

Ok... I replaced the plugs and its a no go. I have a question about the timing belt, do I need to take off the valve cover to take off the timing belt cover?

Old 08-08-2006, 09:55 PM
HCF Member

did you check for spark at one of the plugs? (cannot tell from what is written here)
if not, i would do that first.

if the 95 is like my 88, then the valve cover has to come off to get off the top part of the timing cover.

Old 08-08-2006, 10:39 PM

Couldnt check for spark(just me workin on it right now) Two more questions though, could the main relay be the cause of this problem? and if so where is it exactly. I HATE electronics and cars, Ive never owned anything that was fuel injected up until my civic.

Old 08-09-2006, 12:22 AM
HCF Member

it could, but i doubt it.
but if you check for gas being pumped by the fuel pump - then you will know if it is possible for the relay to be bad or not.
some can turn the key ON and hear the fuel pump running, but i never could on my 88. if you hear it running, then i think the relay is OK.

http://techauto.tripod.com/mainrelay.htm