Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

help please! civic d16y8 sometimes poor aceleration / hesitates

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 01:52 PM
Default help please! civic d16y8 sometimes poor aceleration / hesitates

hello to everybody, i`m new here, iīm from Caracas - Venezuela. I have a civic ex sedan 98 with d16y8 engine, manual transmision with 71.000 km.

I`m registered in a club honda in venezuela but anyone help me with my problem, because this car is imported from USA.

my car sometimes fails like donīt get enought fuel. only fails sometimes at trafic when i`m in 1 and i change to 2 and i accelerate slowly the car donīt accelerate like still without gas. this happened 1 or 2 second.

only happened sometimes at 1500 rpm - 2000 rpm.

I change the fuel filter, air filter, spark plug, spark wire, oil, filter oil, eliminate the catalytic converter, send the inyectors to clean and everything is ok.

no check engine light.

please if anyone know something i appreceatte so much. thankīs a lot.

sorry for my english.

Old 05-01-2009, 03:45 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Welcome.

Start by replacing the distributor cap and rotor and by checking the ignition timing with a timing gun.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:23 PM
HCF Member

Probably wouldn't hurt to clean the throttle body too. Could also be the fuel pump going out...

Old 05-30-2009, 05:36 PM

hi again, i buy a new distributor cap and rotor brand YEC made in japan, I clean the throttle body, and still have the same problem. please someone tell me what should do or check or change to fix this problem.

thankīs a lot for answer... thank`s...

Old 05-30-2009, 05:41 PM

i check the timing with timing gun and only move it less than 1 mm. i put in the middle of the three lines. but i don`t know if I do it good because I research and in some forum they tell that one conector of the ecu i should disconect and do a bridge because the ecu controls the time... I search in the passanger side and I don`t found anything. I only found one conector in the driver side just down in the fuse box a conector of 3 cables.

please someone help me... thankīs a lot to everyone..

sorry for my english.

Old 05-31-2009, 10:22 PM
gwl
HCF Member

EJ8 Man suggested your fuel pump may be going bad. You may want to check the fuel pressure.

Old 05-31-2009, 11:03 PM
HCF Member

Check your oxygen sensors. They can sometimes fail without the ecu displaying an error code. Usually, primary oxygen sensor failure causes the symptoms you described. It mixes up the ecu and tells it to dump more than usual amount of fuel at certain rpm ranges depending on the throttle engagement. That is why the problem mostly happens under load when you are accelerating at a low engine speed in 1st and 2nd.

And why did you eliminate the catalytic converter? Are you still using dual o2 sensors like OBD-II engines need?

Old 06-01-2009, 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by ej6buddy
Check your oxygen sensors. They can sometimes fail without the ecu displaying an error code. Usually, primary oxygen sensor failure causes the symptoms you described. It mixes up the ecu and tells it to dump more than usual amount of fuel at certain rpm ranges depending on the throttle engagement. That is why the problem mostly happens under load when you are accelerating at a low engine speed in 1st and 2nd.

And why did you eliminate the catalytic converter? Are you still using dual o2 sensors like OBD-II engines need?
thankīs for answer.

well I eliminate the catalytic converter because some people tellīs me it might be blocked and here in venezuela almost all the old car`s don`t have catalytic because is expensive and no law to control that.

my civic only have one o2 sensor and it made in USA but the speedometer is in KM/h. with a P2P ecu. everything is stock.
I only put header, test pipe and cold air intake.

Old 06-01-2009, 04:38 AM

other thing very strange is my vin:

Old 06-01-2009, 11:22 PM
HCF Member

What is wrong with the VIN#? It looks fine to me for a 1998 EJ8.

Quick Reply: help please! civic d16y8 sometimes poor aceleration / hesitates