Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Help please. Tire Blew and now car runs like crap

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 07:04 AM
HCF Member
Default Help please. Tire Blew and now car runs like crap

OK, so I was driving down the highway Tuesday morning and my front passenger tire blew. It ripped half my bumper off, mangled my fender, ripped my mirror off and scratched my door all up.

Anyways, the entire tire didn't blow, only the actual tread did, the inner tire was still on the rim. So I go to pull away to head home and I noticed when I started my car it was idling high, as I pull away its running like total ****. I get to three grand and it bogs, shift into 2nd and it bogs at 3k again. It does this in all 5 gears so I baby it back to my house.
I naturally thought maybe part of the tire flew into my engine bay and messed up some wires, but I have not found a single wire out of place or shredded. The car idles @ about 1500 now and when I give it gas it bogs for a split second then revs up until it gets to 3k then it acts like its bouncing off the rev limiter. It will not go over 3k.

Does anyone have any idea what this maybe? Like i said, I've looked over all the wires and the complete harness and see no damage. Everyone so far has said it seems like an electrical issue. Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

You can pm me or text me at 513 846 1143

Old 08-22-2009, 07:24 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Wow, hard to imagine all that damage coming from a blown tire. Can you post a picture?

Is the CEL on?

Old 08-22-2009, 09:46 AM
HCF Member

Yeah the CEL light would come on once and awhile but the car always ran and idled perfect, no ploblems at all. I couldnt find out what code it was throwing since the car is a 94. Autozone couldnt run the computer since there is no plug in for a car this old.
Here is a pic of the damage, its actually worst in person, you cant see how bad the fender is mangled.

Name:  damage.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  153.6 KB

Old 08-22-2009, 09:48 AM
Chubby Chaser

im the one who txt'd you you can pull the codes yourself

click to see how
http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1901557

Old 08-22-2009, 10:02 AM
HCF Member

ok thanks, I had no idea you could do anything like that, I appreciate the help. When I get off work i'll see what code it throws. Again, Thanks...

Old 08-24-2009, 06:22 PM
HCF Member

ok i put a paper clip in the end of the connector as the walk thru explained, when i put the car in the on position the CEL light stated on but the SRS light kept blinking, i stopped counting when it got up over 100. I took the paper clip out of the connector and turned the key again and the SRS just went out like it normaly would. Any body have any suggestions? Like i stated before I do not see any wires that are cut or chewed up so I'm debating buying a new wiring harness and just rewiring the entire harness. But I would like that to be my last option as I've never ran a harness before so it will be a task for me. Thanks in advance for the help.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:31 PM
Chubby Chaser

is the cel on when the car is runing???

Old 08-24-2009, 06:47 PM
HCF Member

yes it is. my computer is dieing so i have to turn it off, if anyone has any imput please text me at 513 846 1143 or just reply on here and i can check the replies tomorrow, thanks again.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:47 PM
Recognized HCF Member

When the CEL comes on steady when you put the clip in, that means that no codes are stored. But when the CEL is on with the car running, there will be a code.

Check the "BACK UP" fuse under the hood, if it is blown the ECU will forget all codes every time you turn the key off.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:54 PM
Chubby Chaser

well i had him pull codes while car was runing and same result. cel didnt blink. it just stays on.

Quick Reply: Help please. Tire Blew and now car runs like crap