Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Help! Water leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 03:14 PM
Default RE: Help! Water leak

Thanks for the tip. I just went to check out this option. I opened the trunk lid and found two rubber stoppers on the top side of the trunk lidand two on the bottom. I couldn't find any way to adust any ofthem however. The two on thebottomare just pushed into a hole. The ones on the top do twist but they don't seem to raise or lower. Do you think it might be worth a try to shave some of the rubber of of these stoppers? or am I not seeing how they may work? Thanks in advance....

Old 01-29-2007, 08:35 PM
HCF Member

the ones on the top of mine screw in, but mine is a 95, maby 97 dont have these, i wouldnt shave them off just because you dont want to have to buy some new ones, u could just remove them and let the lid sit all the way down, and test that.

Old 01-29-2007, 08:41 PM
HCF Member

Take a ziploc bag of flour out to the car. Open the trunk and whiten the trunk seal all the way around, making sure you have nothing left that could be misconstrued as a leak. Close trunk as normal, and spray it down. Open the trunk again, and examine the seal. Where water leaks in, should have washed away the flour.

Don't get too happy with the flour as it could be troublesome to clean up.

Old 01-29-2007, 08:58 PM
HCF Member

Thats an awesome idea, I never thought of that, lol.

I might try that myself, when it warms up a little, its ballz cold around here.

I am still confused at where the water is comming from, it is driving me crazy. I went out and bought some of that black weatherstrip sealant stuff, and put it under the seal all the way around the car, then i let it sit for a day or two, and tried again, still getting water. I can only assume that its not comming from under the seal, it has to be comming around the top somehow.

I am going to do some research on other boards to see if this is a topic.

Found this link, its not that helpful, but if we have some sorta drains, might be a crack or etc..
This one is similar.
This link explains my exact situation. I notice the water comming through the frame somehow.
More

I am starting to think it is a rust/weld issue, perhaps a bad weld in certain vin's, or faulty material somewhere. It's not really dangerous its just annoying as can be.

A while back, I tried spraying underbody coat into the passages along the outside of the seal, where the metal is rough and welded, I would think it may have fixed the problem, but it did nothing. I may just bondo the entire area around the outter seal, to combat any hairline cracks that might not be seen by the eye.

Old 01-29-2007, 09:10 PM
HCF Member

taillights, interesting. never even considered them.

Old 01-29-2007, 09:38 PM
HCF Member

I have the EXACT same leak on drivers side in the trunk on my 96 ex coupe. Its just not a very big deal so i haven't gotten around to messing with it...but it is annoying.

Old 01-29-2007, 11:29 PM
HCF Member

try laying the seats down flat, then crawling in from the back seat and watching with a flashlight while someone soaks the back half with a hose. you should be able to see some water coming in.

Old 01-30-2007, 06:01 PM
HCF Member

I am pretty sure its not the seal, its comming through the frame on my car, somehow. The question is, is it the windshield somehow, or the metal surrounding the trunk. You can't see a water path, so its not as easy as spraying a hose :-(

Old 02-02-2007, 02:53 PM

Drivers side of trunk - Pull down side lining - Halfway from rear of trunk is a drain line exiting from bottom of trunk into wheel well.
My line was blocked, causing the leak in the trunk. I pulled line out
and blew out grommet going through chassis. Try not to remove
grommet, as is difficult to get back in. Hope this helps.

Old 02-02-2007, 03:02 PM
HCF Member

I just went out and looked at that drain line, its connected behind metal, how would I go about removing it and clearing it if there is something in it then putting it back in?

Quick Reply: Help! Water leak