Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Heres an odd one...

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 10:19 AM
Laced with Sarcasm
Default Heres an odd one...

Ok, so i'm on my way to go golfing yesterday, and i hear this "wubwubwubwubwub" noise, seemingly coming from my driver's side front tire. It was NOT A MOTOR NOISE, it was definitely something in the brake/bearing/axle setup. It "wub's" consistantly with tire revolution. Now, heres the twist. If i'm putting power to the ground (accelerating normally), or breaking, the sound goes away. But if i'm just coasting, not giving it more than 1/4 throttle, or 1/2 breaks, it makes the noise. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Oh yeah, its a 99 Civic EX 5-speed, only mod is a full strut bar system (hood, trunk, two under on axles)

Old 04-26-2005, 05:46 PM
Cat Fuсker
Default RE: Heres an odd one...

Inspect the tire for a bubble and check air pressure. Than make sure ur alignment is aight.

Old 04-26-2005, 06:57 PM

make sure all of your lugs are tight, also wheel bearings or universal joints. i had an mr2 turbo that did the same thing, did it ONLY when i was coasting or barely on throttle- i replaced the wheel bearings a uv joints and i was good to go

Old 04-27-2005, 06:48 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

thanks for the info guys. I have to check it out today when i get home, so hopefully later tonight i'll have a better idea of whats going on. How do i check for a bad wheel bearing??

Old 04-27-2005, 09:07 AM
Cat Fuсker

lift that wheel of the ground and try rocking it. You'll see if they're bad.

Old 04-27-2005, 10:11 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

One more thing... I can't feel any vibration in the steering wheel. i dont know if that makes a difference in your diagnosis or not.

Old 04-28-2005, 08:06 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

Alright guys. I grabbed the top of the front driver tire and rocked it back and forth (against the "grain" or side to side)...nothing. I repeated this activity on the passenger side front tire, and not only does the tire move a little, but it makes a deep clunk/click noise inside. Does this mean its a wheel bearing? I'm pretty sure thats what it means. If so, ballpark estimate on how much something like that costs to get fixed? I know i can do most of the work, and just bring it to a machine shop to get pressed, but this is kind of something i want to make damn sure gets done 100% right.

Old 04-28-2005, 10:36 AM
Cat Fuсker

Autostores sell the entire hub assemblies. I would go with that.

Old 04-28-2005, 05:08 PM
Laced with Sarcasm

Nevermind. . .

Have you ever sat back and thought to yourself "WOW...i'm an idiot!!"

Turns out my problem was WAY more insignificant that i thought. My buddy didnt tighten the lug nuts down far enough, and the tire got loose. As the tire shook, it stripped the lug nuts and the tire got more loose. Thats what was making the noise. I over thought the situation and immediately thought it had to be something complicated. Long story short i brought it in to have it diagnosed, the mechanic hooked me up with some new lug nuts and i was good to go. DEEERRRRPPP.

Moral of the story, SWEAT THE SMALL STUFF FIRST!!!

Old 04-29-2005, 12:19 AM

Moral of the Story should be "If you want something done right do it yourself". I had a buddy help tighten up the wheel bearing nuts on my Vega. I should have checked them myself but he reefed them down. I was out with a girlfriend and the car just decided to pull into a Mickey D's. Front right wheel was twisted in the wheel well. Jacked the car up and the whole wheel fell to the ground. Complete stub axle was stripped bare. Learned a valuable lesson though, its your ride so keep an eye on what you have others do to your car.

Quick Reply: Heres an odd one...