Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

how to fix static in radio?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 01:56 PM
Banned
Default how to fix static in radio?

93 Civic EX coupe

lots of static in radio unless you're really close to where it's broadcasted at. is this a radio problem or what ground points do I need to clean. The antenna looks to be just fine

Old 07-07-2007, 02:01 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: how to fix static in radio?

do you have an aftermarket stereo? if so, the antenna plug in in the back of the deck has probably come loose. heck, your oem stereo could probably come loose.

Old 07-07-2007, 02:18 PM
Banned

It has the stock radio. Took the antena thing on top off and the cables look in good shape. How do I remove the stock radio?

Old 07-07-2007, 02:37 PM
Recognized HCF Member

or if static is just a PITA to you... pay 14bucks a month and get some Sirius radio....
only problem ya have then is BLANK when your under a roof or in a REAL HEAVY TREE AREA overhead...

well worth the 14bucks a month to me!!!!!! real radio the way it should be TOTALY UNEDITED SONGS AND PERSONALITY!!!!!!! GREAT SOUND! and COAST TO COAST... HELL YA...
i only listen to 1fm channel and thats ONLY cause of my MORNING "BOB AND TOM" SHOW
if that was on my sirius radio id never listen to FM

Old 07-07-2007, 04:30 PM
HCF Member

Bob and Tom FTW!!! Sirus radio ftl (too expensive for my taste) i could invest in something a little more worthwhile, plus, i've got like 3,000 songs on my ipod just waiting to be listened to.

Old 07-07-2007, 04:50 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ya... BUT i also got the PLAYBOY CHANNEL interesting talk show none the less

well worth it to me for no commercials and everything totaly unedited.... and also that they dont repeat that one overplayed song OVER AND OVER AND OVER like most radio stations do!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-07-2007, 05:12 PM
HCF Member

Ihave the same problem.. I just figured it must be the radio pick up thats in the radio some works better than others and im always listen to fm and it stinks when the stations dont come in clear

Old 07-07-2007, 06:10 PM
HCF Member

Just use CD's..... or an ipod adapter

Old 07-08-2007, 10:42 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: honda_farmboy

93 Civic EX coupe

lots of static in radio unless you're really close to where it's broadcasted at. is this a radio problem or what ground points do I need to clean. The antenna looks to be just fine
It could be the cable, the antenna itself, or the connector. A visual inspection alone won't tell you if it's bad. You need to have it tested. You could ohm it out yourself with a multimeter. If possible, check the outer braided-metal shielding, the center conductor, and that there is no contact between them.

It could also be the radio itself starting to go. How old is all the equipment?

Check the ground for the radio, and also the ground off the battery. Make sure they're tight and free of corrosion. Use a multimeter to check the resistance.

Old 07-08-2007, 10:48 PM

ORIGINAL: honda_farmboy

It has the stock radio. Took the antena thing on top off and the cables look in good shape. How do I remove the stock radio?
two screws or bolts directly under radio and pull it out

Quick Reply: how to fix static in radio?