Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How the Hell?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 04:45 PM
HCF Member
Default How the Hell?

Do you guys get crankshaft pullys off? I have a impact wrench that does 1100 pounds, not budged a bit!!!

Old 10-25-2007, 05:56 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: How the Hell?

elbow grease[8D]. When i took my off, I used a huge extension and a big piece of pipe to have more torque and literally put all my weight until it came lose[&:]

Does your crank wheel move when you are trying to remove the bolt with the impact whrech? If so, try putting a flat head screwdriver into the flywheel to stop the crank wheel from moving. But be careful to not break anything, although the stock flywheels are pretty strong.

Old 10-26-2007, 10:52 AM
HCF Member

yes it moves and there is no where to put a screwdriver!

Old 10-26-2007, 11:34 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Make sure your impact gun is getting plenty of air. Use a 6 point impact socket with no extensions. Also it's conventional right hand thread, turn counterclockwise to loosen. It's not necessary to jam the crank when you're using an impact wrench, it may move slightly but it's that initial, umm, impact, that does the loosening.

Old 10-26-2007, 11:48 AM
Recognized HCF Member

ya your impact either doesnt have enough air or its just not strong enough.LOL my dads snap on impact spun both of them off VERY EASILY on my 2 motors... without breaking a sweet!
2 things that can kill a impact gun is the air line size going to it and air pressure. be sure the impact gun doesnt have a adjuster on it. my dads does which preaty much cuts the air pressure down so less impact power. and with the air line its just like a larger pipe... the larger the hose the more air volume can flow alot quicker giving you more power...
so crank up the pressure and make sure the air source is at FULL PRESSURE and just keep hammering on it and be sure the crank doesnt move if your going a timing belt swap... so before ya pull the crank pulley and belt off be sure its all straight.

Old 10-26-2007, 06:41 PM
HCF Member

When I did mine, the Cursed bolt would not budge... I eventually had to use a crank pulley bolt remover tool (note: rest it against the chassis) because the impact guns would not do the trick (250 to a 500 to a 1200lb) because our air compressor could not keep up with the bigger guns... I just had to use a 6 foot steel pipe and put that around the breakerbar. I also used the impact gun's extension which had a sawhorse under it so that it would stay in place (if that makes sense). that did the trick, and hope that helps

Old 10-26-2007, 08:25 PM
HCF Member

There is always a torch. LOL It will melt it right off!

Seriously, make sure that it is getting the right PSI. Even a HUGE impact wrench will not work if its not getting what it needs.

Old 10-26-2007, 10:10 PM

LOL I GUESS U GOTTA BE A MEXCIAN TO DO IT, JUST GET A BIG THICK *** FLAT HEAD SCREW DRIVER AND STICK IT ON THE SIDE OF THE FLYWHEEL AND HAVE SOME HOLD IT AND KEEP IT FROM NOT MOVING IT AND BAM IT SHOULD COME OFF I DONE IT ALOTS OF TIME AND IT WORKS PERFECT AND BETTERTHAN AIR TOOLS

Old 10-26-2007, 11:04 PM

I read somewhere that you can get a breaker bar and put it on the bolt then rest it against the chassis, remove the spark plugs and then crank the motor for like a split second and that loosens it. i dont think you actually need to remove the spark plugs though.

Old 10-27-2007, 03:16 PM
Recognized HCF Member

That will definitely not work on a Civic because Honda engines turn backwards from most. Cranking the engine will make the bolt tighter.

Not a recommended procedure for any car really.

I've done 3 or 4 different cars with my Campbell-Hausfeld 600 ft-lb impact (Not the cheesy $40 one, the one that costs about $100) no problem at all.

Quick Reply: How the Hell?