Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

I need new Brakes.. 03 civic coupe

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 08:50 PM
Default I need new Brakes.. 03 civic coupe

I need new brakes and rotors as soon as possible for my 03 civic coupe.
Can somebody suggest me a good brand for brakes and rotors?

Old 04-24-2008, 03:50 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: I need new Brakes.. 03 civic coupe

Use the search button.
I needed new brakes about 3 weeks ago, but I just used the search button and so many posted popped up that I didn't even need to ask.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:19 AM

"Best" is a relative term. If you go Autocrossing often, then you will want a set of higher performance brakes that work better when warm. If you drive "normal" and don't want noisy brakes then don't go with anythign high performance.

What kind of driving do you typically do? Normal around town you can get at the local parts place. (Autozone, Advanced Auto, Napa, etc). How much do you have to spend?

Old 04-24-2008, 10:38 AM
Recognized HCF Member

For everyday driving just put on some OEM type replacements. The more expensive ones don't stop any better except under racing conditions where heat is a factor. If you replace the pads before they wear down to the metal you should be able to keep using the same rotors, no need to resurface or replace them.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:47 AM
HCF Member

Hawk pads FTW. I've had them on my '94 Civic. I never raced, but they are still great pads. Everyone who ever drove my car was like the brakes are really great. Check how much they want for resurfacing, you can pick up a new rotor for $20 so if they want $15/rotor to resurface just get a new one.

Old 04-24-2008, 05:57 PM

I dont race at all, just regular city/highway driving. I was thinking of putting in HONDA OEM's i am getting from http://www.handa-accessories.com/civmaint01.html for $36
But if hawks are much better than OEMs then i have the money to spend.
And if hawks is what the answer is which one is the right one for me? HPS or Ceramic?
Thanx a lot

Old 04-27-2008, 06:18 PM
HCF Member

I would recommend buying the OEM pads,and then get Wearever rotors (they cost twenty something a piece) from Advance Auto. They have a two year warranty against warpage. Bendix, Raybestos, and Brembo only give one year against warpage and they are twice the price. Autozone rotors are crap don't buy them. I would replace the rotors regardless of what the old ones look like.

Also you will need an impact screwdriver (available at Autozone for $9.99) to remove the phillips screws holding on the rotor. After you remove the screws if the rotor is "rusted" onto the hub, you will need two 8MM bolts. These bolts screw into the threaded holes on the rotor - crank each bolt two turns at a time until the rotor comes off.

Open the bleeder screw, (10MM) and use a C-clamp or large "channel locks" (pliers) to push in the caliper piston.