Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

IACV hoses question.

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 07:47 AM
Default IACV hoses question.

Hey everyone. First time posting here.

Anyways, I have a 96 Cx hatch with a b18a1. The previous owner did the swap and I've been fixing it ever since I got the car. Just started having idling issues recently so replaced the IACV. The previous owner only had one hose connected to the bottom of the IACV and it led to what I believe is called the charcoal canister and well...that's it. No other hose connected to the IACV when by the looks of it, there definitely should be.

So my question - 1. Should the hose that is connected to the passenger side of the IACV be leading to the charcoal canister?

and

2 - where should the other hose be going to?

lil video I shot earlier. Hope it helps. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7TJuiIxoXc
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Been searching online for a cpl weeks now and still have yet to find an answer.

Last edited by mattisonfire85; 11-19-2011 at 03:20 PM.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:04 AM
Recognized HCF Member

1. No. The big hose from the canister connects to a vacuum port on the manifold. When the ECU opens the purge valve to supply vacuum to the small hose, the relay valve on the canister opens and lets the trapped fuel vapors be sucked through the big hose into the intake. The vapors then burn in the engine instead of being released raw to the environment where they would become smog.

2. They are part of a loop that connects to the cooling system and carry coolant to preheat the valve and the air passing through it. This helps the engine run smoother in cold weather. A lot of people do away with this (blank off the inlet and outlet of the loop, and leave the ports on the IACV disconnected) though when...

There's a leak in one of the parts
It's a warm climate
The car is being set up strictly for racing

Last edited by mk378; 11-19-2011 at 08:10 AM.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:16 AM

Alright, well I definitely live in a cold climate and it'll only get colder in the next couple of weeks. I'm having a real hard time getting it to start after just a couple hours of it sitting (will start... struggle to stay alive..then bog off to a stall). After a few tries it will stay running. I usually just let it run for five or ten minutes before I actually throw it into first.

So back on topic. Do you know off hand (or even have pics) of where the two hoses should be connecting to? And where the canister hose should be going since it's currently connected to the IACV?

You'll be a god among men if so.

Old 11-19-2011, 03:16 PM

Bump.

Old 11-19-2011, 09:09 PM
Recognized HCF Member

I don't know a lot about the B series. You could look up the manual for the car that had that engine as stock.