Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Idle issues.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 12:39 PM
HCF Member
Default Idle issues.

Alright, well today my car started having idle issues, whenever I throw it in neutral(mainly), it'll idle really low, then die. The only thing I can think of is; The starter, the altenator(unlikely), Timing belt(Possibilty, since I have 114k miles and havn't changed it) or the Idle Air Control Valve(Which is my best guess).

It use to do this 6 months ago, but when I was downshifting and stuff and it would do that, or put it in neutral and take corners and die. My car (before this) use to idle pretty low, at like 300~500 rpm, which I thought was pretty good, it would idle so low and quite. Well, I MIGHT seafoam it, maybe that'll help, if not then i'll wait for someone response as to where I should go or what to do. I might need to go swing by the DIY how to clean your IACV, and check that out, perhaps.

Old 04-23-2008, 07:36 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Idle issues.

Cleaning IACV and Seafoam treatment are good ideas. Is the CEL ON?

Old 04-24-2008, 08:21 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by Vilex
Alright, well today my car started having idle issues, whenever I throw it in neutral(mainly), it'll idle really low, then die. The only thing I can think of is; The starter, the altenator(unlikely), Timing belt(Possibilty, since I have 114k miles and havn't changed it) or the Idle Air Control Valve(Which is my best guess).
For sure, it's got nothing to do with the starter since your problem is not starting the car. Timing belt maybe but if it is broken, your car will not start.

i'd change that timing belt if i were you. the alternator could be a problem. that's easy to check. take it to an autoparts store or even to walmart or Sams Club and they will check it for free.

I'd agree that the IACV is a possibility.

Old 04-24-2008, 10:56 AM
HCF Member

RonJ, nope.. No CEL. I'm gonna pick some seafoam up today, and maybe that'll help. It hasn't died today.. Its been like on and off, its happen sometimes, and sometimes it acts fine.. And when it does do it, it'll idle really low and kind of bog like its about to die, then doesn't.

Mundy5, Yeah.. My guess is either the timing belt or the IACV, thats the best I can think of.. I don't think its the altenator, I got it checked over the winter and they said it was fine. I'm gonna stop by Advanced Autoparts and Autozone today and see what they think, I know a buddy who works at Advanced Autoparts, and his uncle is a Honda guru, so he might help.