Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

idle problem after cleaning TB and IACV

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 10:27 PM
Default idle problem after cleaning TB and IACV

Hey guys The other day i cleaned my throttle body and it ran better than ever for 30mins, now i get a p0505 which is idle control system, i have a high idle and when the car is fully warm and i let it idle, it goes into like this backup mode and idles at1500 rpms and if i give it just a little gas it surges almost sounds like a 2 step. and is very jerky to drive. also before it goes into this mode when i free rev it it will rev nice and drop down to 1000 or so and then climb right back up to 1500 and then slowly drop. Any suggestions i was thinking to take the throttle body off and clean it a little better but could it be that the throttle plate is not sealing now that ive removed all the carbon and stuff around it? it would explain the idle drop. Any suggestions are awsome.

Old 05-20-2010, 03:04 AM
HCF Member

Air in coolant, maybe.

Try bleeding it.

Old 05-20-2010, 04:40 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

Removing the TB and giving it a more thorough clean probably isn't a bad idea. Pick up a new gasket from your dealership to put in when you re-install your TB, and also make sure all of the old gasket gets scraped off.

Bleeding coolant is probably a good idea.

Once these things have been completed, try re-setting the idle (I believe there is a DIY here for that)

Keep us posted!

Old 05-20-2010, 05:08 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Sticky throttle cable maybe? When it is idling too fast go under the hood and pull on the linkage itself to close the throttle plate. If that works, replace throttle cable.

On MPFI models there is an air screw on the throttle body that sets overall idle range. If too fast, turn the screw clockwise to close down the air passage. This is a big aluminum screw with a flat head. Do not adjust the small screw that stops the throttle linkage.

Old 05-20-2010, 03:52 PM

i bleed the coolant for air and it seems to help a little bit... after i finished bleeding the coolant i drove about 50 miles problem free... when i came up on the stop light the cel came on and the problem came back again... then i pulled the negative and tryied to turn off the cel and it worked and i took the highway home from work.. it was fine until, i was going about 50mph at 3000 rpm and the cel came on again... but this time the ride was jerky like before it actually drives fine....

Old 05-20-2010, 06:31 PM

i'd also tried adjusting the idle screw but it didn't do anything... the rpm didn't go up or down... just idle at 1000-1200 rpm....

Old 05-21-2010, 04:16 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

Are you following the proper Idle Set Procedure? You can't just reach in, turn the screw, and expect it to be fixed...

Do you have a Haynes Manual? If so, follow the steps in there. I don't remember them off the top of my head, but do have my old Haynes Manual at home that I can scan if need be.

Old 05-22-2010, 09:35 AM

could you scan it for and and post it up cause i tried finding mine but couldn't find it.. thanks

Old 05-24-2010, 03:26 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

I'll try and remember to do that tonight.

Is your car auto or manual?

Old 05-29-2010, 12:01 AM

i think i got it fixed some how... don't remember what i did but the car seems to work fine

Quick Reply: idle problem after cleaning TB and IACV