Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

ignition switch recall problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 06:16 PM

Appreciate the info. Where did you buy the "ignition switch"? Autozone wanted about 100 some dollars (can't remember the exact price). I guess that included more than what you replaced?

I also found out that this car WAS previously recalled and the part was replaced in 2002 right before my wife purchased it used. This comes to a complete shock to me. The lady at the local Honda said they were doing it as a goodwill gesture the second time and they didn't really have to. I told her I appreciated it but it is sad to think that someone can't come up with a design that will actually last longer than 10 years. The part came in today and will be replaced tomorrow.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:37 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by danielwd
Appreciate the info. Where did you buy the "ignition switch"? Autozone wanted about 100 some dollars (can't remember the exact price). I guess that included more than what you replaced?
I bought it online at autopartsgiant.com, and they actually delivered the oem part for it. It said honda and had the correct part # on it. Yeah, any part that is over $100 is because it comes also with the mechanical cylinder which would then require you to get a new key for the ignition or have the dealer customize the cylinder to work with your current key. When you get on the website, you'll see the two versions. It's obvious by the price difference.

I also found out that this car WAS previously recalled and the part was replaced in 2002 right before my wife purchased it used. This comes to a complete shock to me. The lady at the local Honda said they were doing it as a goodwill gesture the second time and they didn't really have to. I told her I appreciated it but it is sad to think that someone can't come up with a design that will actually last longer than 10 years. The part came in today and will be replaced tomorrow.
I thought that your wife's car was already fixed the first time. I'm glad that your honda dealer was willing to replace it without the hassle. American honda told me the same thing that the dealer is not required to repair it a second time. They also know that if the car stalls while on the highway and someone gets killed, their rear end is on the line with liability suits that can easily become the class action variety, much like the acceleration problem with toyotas last year.

It was a simple repair as I said, it took me 30 mins.

Last edited by mundy5; 05-09-2011 at 09:40 PM. Reason: more info
Old 12-12-2011, 04:33 PM

I went to autopartsgiant.com but could not locate any ignition switch for $34.00. I am looking for civic 98 LX ignition switch. Could someone please send me the exact web page.

Old 12-13-2011, 06:38 AM
HCF Member

yes, you're correct. they must have sold out on the electrical portion only part.

Old 12-13-2011, 06:52 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Strange, I don't see anyone selling just the switch any more either. You could buy one of those and take the switch off, so you keep your old key and cylinder.

Old 12-14-2011, 04:38 AM

Yes, you can buy the whole but it is quite expensive ~$170.00 quite a difference from ~$34.00.

Is it worth to get used one?

Old 01-22-2012, 07:39 AM

I was able to get just the switch from ebay. It was $30.00. Now I have question about wiring.
Any one know the exact wiring diagram. Apart from 4 wires which goes to the plug, there are 3 more wires that I need to attach to the switch wires. I need to cut the wires and solder it. Anyone can tell me how to attach those 3 wires?

Old 01-22-2012, 09:08 AM
Recognized HCF Member

There should be no cutting and soldering. An OEM switch comes with rather long wires and plugs on it; follow the wires under the dash and unplug them. If you have some generic ebay part look closely there are little names next to each terminal on the switch (B1, IG1, etc.) match those up.

Old 01-22-2012, 02:06 PM
HCF Member

I second mk's answer. No soldering or cutting required. I repeat, there is no soldering involved. It is simply removing the lock on the plug and taking out the 3 or 4 wires necessary to move it onto the new switch.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:49 AM

Interesting! Apart from 4 existing wires that goes to the new ignition switch plug, my existing switch had three extra wires soldered to it. I need to cut the wire and solder them. I did attach those 3 as well but just wanted to confirm if I attached them right.

Quick Reply: ignition switch recall problem