Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

illegal for headlight led??

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 02:56 PM
Default illegal for headlight led??

Hey everyone, I just put these white leds on top of my head light housing so it would illuminate the case at night, but I do not know whether it is illegal or not. I live in Viginia and I have heard cops in VA are nuts about these things. Is it illegal?

In case you wanna know what i did,I just got a bunch of wire and connectedthesewhite ledsto the battery. I just remove the negative side when I dont want it on. It looks nice heres some sucky picsI took with my phone.

[IMG]local://upfiles/23885/168FFC4A61D248A2B36BF4F96C332C96.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/23885/CC88E526A07E4D6AB7B4C62BE0B462D3.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/23885/4A748176832346A4899CD63F8B4A6EE2.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-30-2007, 03:10 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: illegal for headlight led??

lol hook them up to a switch man, thast not a very safe or secure way of wiring them (and preferably get the 12v source from the fusebox as well). Anyway i think they look great, i love custom stuff like that, but i imagine if the cops wanted they could pull you over for it. To be safe only have it on when you're parked, but can you really see the little LED's that well when your headlgihts are on?

Old 09-30-2007, 04:18 PM
Recognized HCF Member

na wont be illegal.... just as long as you dont try to drive with them instead of your headlights on.LOL

white and yellow are acceptable from the front...

Old 09-30-2007, 07:45 PM

thanks for the info. Do you think you could show me how to hook them up to a switch or get the 12v source from the fusebox. yea it looks really good if I dont turn the lights on but when i do it looks pretty cool. Like they have an almostHIDlook to them from far away. Ill take some more pics if I can.

Old 09-30-2007, 07:54 PM

oh yea osrry for the double post, but isnt the only thing cops can do is tell you to turn them off or take them off? I mean I dont think they can fine you for a little think like that. And its probably just a secondary offense, like only if your speedingthen can they say you have leds.

Old 10-01-2007, 04:09 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Whenever you connect a new wire to the battery plus, you must put a fuse in it near the battery. If the wire shorts to ground and there is no fuse, it will catch on fire and it can burn up the whole car.

Those should be OK as long as it still looks stock with both the LEDs and the headlights on. As pointed out, never drive with just those LEDs on.

You can get a ticket for this kind of stuff, then you will have to pay a fine unless you go to court and convince the judge otherwise. More importantly, when they pull someone over for whatever reason, some cops immediately think they can search the whole car, interrogate any passengers, etc. So it's best to keep a low profile out on the road.

Old 10-03-2007, 07:04 PM

Yes you can indeed get a fine for "showing blue or red lights to the front of your vehicle." only emergency vehicles are legal to show blue or red on the front, however in the pictures they appear white. You'd be risking it, even parked, I received a ticket in Phoenix, Az. for having blue turn signals. $125.00 fine, I didn't bother even trying to explain anything to the judge. Your local laws may be different/less strict, but even so, I'd turn them off while driving.

Old 10-04-2007, 03:45 PM

My guess would be that the general rule of thumb about it not being red or blue applies and you are fine, but if you are concerned about it, ask a local law enforcement person to confirm it for your local area... I would not wager a ticket on internet hearsay...

That said, I cannot really see why it would be illegal as long as you use it only while parked.. I know many people with blue strobes in the head lights, and as long as they are off while they are driving it's perfectly legal...

And dude, definitely at least add a fuse to that thing, it's a fire hazard for sure, a direct short on a small gauge wire will surely result in a fire... the best way to do it is to go get some of those inline tap/splice connectors and just tap off of an always live power source at the fuse panel, such as the one for the interior lights, that will be your positive wire to your switch... then just run a wire from the switch out to positive terminal on the led lights, and the other terminal on the lights (ground) to a ground source close to the light itself... you will need a hole in the firewall to get the wire out, if you have an automatic you can use the clutch master cylinder hole which will have a cover held on by a bolt... that's where i ran the wires for my sound system...

Old 10-04-2007, 03:51 PM

I got a warning for white turn signal bulbs when I first got my clear corners... they absolutely must be amber colored when lit... But nobody had amber bulbs of that type, I had to substitute a different bulb, and of course can' recall which one it ended up being... That could have easily been an improper lighting ticket here in SC which would have been about $100, luckily I caught the officer in a good mood.

Speaking of that, does anyone know of a clear bulb that lights up amber, I think there's an LED one but can't recall who makes it... I hate to look through the clear lenses and see that orange bulb...

Old 10-04-2007, 03:54 PM

does anybody know what color lights are illegal to have on, inside, outside or underneath ur car?

Quick Reply: illegal for headlight led??