Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Intermitant speedometer

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 03:05 PM
Default Intermitant speedometer

I have a 96 civic lx model with a manual transmission. The speedometer has become intermintant. when The weather is cold or cool the needle parks itself of 20 mph. I know this is a common problem. It is not the vss because the cruise control works. Before I send the cluster out to be repaired is the a diy trick that can be performed at home?

Old 04-05-2010, 04:51 AM
Default meats speedometer

Meat, I had the same probelm; I removed the old speedometer out of the dash, bought a new one from a dealership, installed it and it works great. You are taking a chance with a junkyard item, if they were cheaper and would take it back it would be worth it to deal with a junkyard--but that is not the case.

remove the screws that point upward in the display, take out the clear screen, then you'll see more screws. then take off the wire contacts and remove it. Plug in the new one, move the speedometer needle off of the little post, and reassemble.

Old 04-05-2010, 05:47 AM
Recognized HCF Member

cheapest fix.... but a used DX cluster off ebay and swap out the speedometer section into your cluster.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:09 AM
HCF Member

had the same problem my cruise always worked even when the speedometer/odometer stopped working.

bought a complete head unit off of ebay for 70 bucks. then you will have spare parts/bulbs/guages etc easy to do six screws and you are done 10 minute job. fixed the problem.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:23 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Take cluster apart and make sure the needle is not dragging on the face of the dial.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:52 AM

70 bucks is what a new speedometer cost me.Do you really need all the other stuff. How do you know what you get of of ebay will work?

Will someone with transmission knowledge please respond to my question about my 01 Civic?

Old 04-05-2010, 02:04 PM

Thats not bad. I have been watch the local web site of the pull a part salvage yard and have not seen one yet. I think I will call the dealer and ask how much for just the speedometer or do you buy the whole thing?

Old 04-05-2010, 03:04 PM
Recognized HCF Member

o trust us.... dont even ask the dealership.LOL it wont be cheap!
just keep an eye out on ebay or post a WTB add on craigslist in your area, you can even put on there that you just want the speedometer and you dont care if the tach, fuel temp gauges are broken.
quite afew people break the needles on the fuel temp gauges when trying to put on those ricer gauge overlays!

milage shouldnt matter to much because you can just keep the old cluster and just document the milage on it when you swap them out! that way you can prove what actual milage is. thats what i did.

Old 04-05-2010, 03:08 PM
Recognized HCF Member

o trust us.... dont even ask the dealership.LOL it wont be cheap!
just keep an eye out on ebay or post a WTB add on craigslist in your area, you can even put on there that you just want the speedometer and you dont care if the tach, fuel temp gauges are broken.
quite afew people break the needles on the fuel temp gauges when trying to put on those ricer gauge overlays!

milage shouldnt matter to much because you can just keep the old cluster and just document the milage on it when you swap them out! that way you can prove what actual milage is. thats what i did.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:27 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by Fish59
70 bucks is what a new speedometer cost me.Do you really need all the other stuff. How do you know what you get of of ebay will work?

Will someone with transmission knowledge please respond to my question about my 01 Civic?
no you can find a cluster for around your mileage and pull the speedo out of it and put it in yours. you can find one cheaper for that I almost bought a head unit from a dx that had the exact mileage and I was just going to swap speedos and it was like 30 bucks. but I decided to go with a head unit from an lx manual - just personal preference you can find them cheaper than 70.

I called a number of dealerships and they wanted like 125 bucks just for the speedo.
couldn't justify spending that money on something so simple to fix.

Quick Reply: Intermitant speedometer