Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Jack points?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 06:59 PM
HCF Member
Default Jack points?

I picked up two jackstands from Autozone, and I plan to lift both front wheels off the ground to install some stuff, etc. Same for the rear wheels. Where do I put the floorjack under the car, in order to install the stands at the jacking points? I don't want to break anything.

Thanks

Old 11-09-2005, 07:31 PM
Default RE: Jack points?

As long as it is on the frame, I wouldn't worry about it. Normally the jack points are just behind the wheel well.

Old 11-09-2005, 08:28 PM
mxs
HCF Member

In the front there is a metal piece behind the splashguard, not in the center of the car but off to the driver's side a little bit. In the back you can use the "tow hook" thing. The jackstands go under the brackets just behind the front wheels, and just in front of the rear wheels.

Do you have an actual floor jack, and not just your spare tire jack?

edit: pics

[IMG]local://upfiles/4155/8795FBC6505F4917B5AA73B2D12E732D.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/4155/7123E220125E4F328938E5BAE4A00223.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-09-2005, 08:48 PM

you should have a floor jack, spare tire jacks are for emergecies only, and iv seen em slip...

Old 11-09-2005, 08:53 PM
HCF Member

Thanks mxs, the first picture is just what I was looking for. I originally thought the front thing was it, but it was so off-center that I had my doubts...it looks strange all at an angle on a floor jack.

I have a floorjack, and two jackstands. My plan, when working on the front or rear, is to lift the thing by the points mxs illustrated with a floorjack, and install the stands at the points forward (or aft) of the wheels, then remove the floorjack. Is it safe to only have jackstands at two points, and no floorjack as a backup, when working under the car?

Thanks for the help.

Old 11-09-2005, 09:00 PM

i do it all the time. i suggest doing the shake test, jounce the car, to make sure it has settled and wont fall on you

Old 11-09-2005, 09:08 PM
mxs
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Toppers

Thanks mxs, the first picture is just what I was looking for. I originally thought the front thing was it, but it was so off-center that I had my doubts...it looks strange all at an angle on a floor jack.
I couldn't find it at first because the illustration shows it in the center of the car. But think about where the engine is....

I have a floorjack, and two jackstands. My plan, when working on the front or rear, is to lift the thing by the points mxs illustrated with a floorjack, and install the stands at the points forward (or aft) of the wheels, then remove the floorjack. Is it safe to only have jackstands at two points, and no floorjack as a backup, when working under the car?
Yeah, I do that all the time too.

Old 11-09-2005, 09:12 PM
HCF Member

What's the best gear to be in when jacking? Also, that front point totally doesn't look like a jack point, as the front bumper bends and warps when you apply any pressure whatsoever...strange.

Old 11-09-2005, 09:27 PM
mxs
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Toppers
that front point totally doesn't look like a jack point, as the front bumper bends and warps when you apply any pressure whatsoever...strange.
It's not plastic, it's metal.

Old 11-09-2005, 09:42 PM
HCF Member

and if youre jacking the front up, gear doesnt matter. though chocking the wheels isnt a bad idea.

Quick Reply: Jack points?