Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

JDM OBD1 into 98 civic problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 06:44 PM
Default JDM OBD1 into 98 civic problems

OK, so i have been building my motor for awhile. hmm... mabye some background first. I have a 98 civic cx. so everyone knows its a non-vtec sohc yea. I bought a JDM 99 b16a2. Being in my style, i have spent all my money on it for the last two years, building it the way i want to and now i'm running into some problems. first, i bought skunk2 intake manifold and throttle body. needless to say, the sensors arn't the same at all. luckly i'm hooked up very well with honda direct so its no problem for me to get the sensors that fit. the only thing is now i need to know what wire harness i need get to put it into my car. i have access to uncut harnesses, but now i just need to know whichon to get. second, i'm having a problem figuring out which ecu i need. is it possible to just get a usdm 99 si harness and ecu and just convert to obdII?? so many questions i realize this, and any help would be great. i do have more questions, but i think i will wait. oh, and if anyone knows where i can get the right tps for a skunk 2 throttle body for a 99 civic si throttle body? thanks a bunch guys

Old 07-09-2007, 06:56 PM
mxs
HCF Member
Default RE: JDM OBD1 into 98 civic problems

You need a 96-98 EX manual transmission engine harness. There's something about the chassis wiring that's incompatible with a 99-00 harness.

why are you saying "JDM OBD1" when the motor is a 99? that's OBD2

what ECU to use... there are lots of options, your choice will depend on what state you live in, and your inspection/emissions regulations.

Old 07-10-2007, 09:30 PM
Default RE: JDM OBD1 into 98 civic problems

i live in montana. we don't have emissions laws. yes its a 99, but i have read more than once, and the wiring harness that came with my motor suggets it, is that until 99, jdm motors are obd1. thats why i question which harness to use. something like a 94 si harness, or a newer one. i just with i could get all obd2 stuff and call it good. please someone tell me im completely wrong about the obd1 stuff, it would make my life way easier. also i forgot to mention that all of the sensors look like older sensors you would find on an older engine, not a 99. and yes, i looked up the s/n to make sure that i did in fact get a 99