Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Just bought me an 89 Civic hatch w/JDM D16 w/turbo, need some help...

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 11:13 PM
Default Just bought me an 89 Civic hatch w/JDM D16 w/turbo, need some help...

Hi, just bought me an 89 Civic Hatch with a JDM D16A engine with a t3/t4 turbo on it, with some mods, and I have a few concerns. here is the link for the auction I bought it from. I am hoping someone can review the auction and tell me what I may need to do to the vehicle to have it run efficiently and properly.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/89-HO...QQcmdZViewItem

The car was only owned by the owner for a month or so and was built when he bought it. he is having trouble getting info from the previous owner, so it is unknown if the fuel injectors were even upgraded. I was curious to know if there is anything else I need to install, cus I do not see an air/fuel controller installed on the car, is the FMU the same thing, does it suffice for this purpose? I am pretty decently car knowledged, but this is my first turbo and I dont know much about them at all.

My biggest concern however is that the guy is telling me that it is only getting 12-15 mpg, which doesnt sound right at ALL! He also says that the air/fuel gauge reads lean most of the time, so i wanted to know what the possible causes would be for this, that way when I get the vehicle I can make the proper adjustments/repairs/mods to fix this problem. Also, any general info/knowledge that could be shared that I should know about a turbo car would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!

Old 05-11-2007, 03:23 AM
Laced with Sarcasm
Default RE: Just bought me an 89 Civic hatch w/JDM D16 w/turbo, need some help...

FMU's are absolute CRAP! Ditch it immediately, and get a chipped ECU with a basemap, then take it to a reputable tuner.

There is no way around it, what I have mentioned is the only possible way you're going to get the car functioning properly

Also, Run a compression test on it to make sure its operating properly, I did a how-to in the DIY section

Old 05-11-2007, 11:27 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Just bought me an 89 Civic hatch w/JDM D16 w/turbo, need some help...

That's a nice *** car. Goodluck with it.

Old 05-11-2007, 11:36 PM

ok, that is good advice, but I am hoping you can explain what exactly a FMU is...

Also, the ecu is chipped, but how do i tell if it has a basemap? and what is a basemap exactly?

Old 05-13-2007, 02:17 AM

bump...nobody?

Old 05-13-2007, 07:54 AM
Recognized HCF Member

if you look at the engine bay pic there is a round blue canister on the driver side of the car. That is your Fmu (fuel management unit) what it does is raises fuel pressure per pound of boost it sees on your stock injectors and rapes your fuel pump in the process. get ride of that unit and get some bigger injectors along with your ecu chipped and converted to obd1 if it already isnt. then put the car on a dyno tune it safly and you will be happy with your new ride.

Old 05-15-2007, 12:08 AM

ok thanks for the advice, ill be sure to upgrade those things. It does say that it has a blitz fuel pump, do you or anyone else know anything about the blitz pump and if it is any good and will suffice for my application? How bout Blitz products in general? I ask because it seems that there are many of them on the car...

Im also hoping someone can comment on some of the other supporting mods my car has, such as the exhaust system, and if they are any good.

And one more thing. I want to know if DSM injectors would work for my appication. Would they be too much, or too little? I figure they would be the easiest and cheapest route to go, and if I did go with them would the Blitz pump be strong enough to support them? Thanks again for the help!

Old 05-29-2007, 09:43 PM

ok, still in need of the blitz product line, my mods, and if DSM injectors are the way to go for my ride... if someone can help, it would be great! Thanks again!

Old 05-30-2007, 04:09 AM

the quickest way to get an answer i think is to ask google...
i had a quick search for you, didnt really get time to read the article, but they did use a couple blitz products
http://www.turbomagazine.com/tech/03...ed_ford_focus/

Old 05-30-2007, 10:57 AM

RC injectors seem to be the best way to go in the way of good injectors. I have 440cc with an AEM reg rideing on top of the rail. These Guys are right. Do what you have to do but please get a great tune.....

Quick Reply: Just bought me an 89 Civic hatch w/JDM D16 w/turbo, need some help...