Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Keyless Entry Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 02:23 PM
Default Keyless Entry Question

I have a 1997 Honda Civic EX 4 door with keyless entry. First, to be clear, the power locks unlock and lock all doors. However, the keyless entry will unlock the driver side only. Is this the way it operated from the factory. I am asking because I recently installed the factory radio to get the keyless system back working. It was my wife's car originally and she can't remember if the FOB unlocked the passenger side.

Thanks for your help!

Old 03-05-2012, 04:31 AM
HCF Member

I apologize now for how this sounds, but have you tried pressing the "unlock" button a few times in quick succession? My '97 LX will unlock the driver's door on the first push, but I usually have to hit the button a couple more times to get the other doors to unlock.

Old 03-06-2012, 02:49 AM

Originally Posted by ChristianL
I apologize now for how this sounds, but have you tried pressing the "unlock" button a few times in quick succession? My '97 LX will unlock the driver's door on the first push, but I usually have to hit the button a couple more times to get the other doors to unlock.
Yeah, I have tried this. The car has an aftermarket radio. I had to install the factory radio also to get the keyless entry to function. I am wondering if I didn't connect the factory radio correctly. I have two connections to the factory radio...the harness that powers the radio and one green connector. Did I miss something? Is there another green connector? I would like to find this out before I tear into the dash again.

Again, the power locks for all doors work fine. However, pressing the unlock button on the remote multiple times does not unlock the passenger door.

Thanks again for all of your help.

Old 03-06-2012, 04:35 AM
HCF Member

Ah - I'll bet that's it. Yes, there is a big connector, and two smaller green ones. I can't remember which is which, but I seem to remember they're pretty specific to their connection spot. Was the aftermarket head unit installed with a jumper harness?

I ran into a similar problem when I was installing the head unit on my '97. Then I started following the harness, and discovered the forgotten green connector. As soon as I plugged it in, all was well.

Old 03-06-2012, 04:59 PM

Oh man! Looks like I'll be tearing apart the dash again. It should be easier the second time. Can the green adapters only be plugged in one way? If not, which green plugs go where? Thanks for all of your help Christian!

Old 03-07-2012, 03:06 AM
HCF Member

I'm pretty sure they only go in one way, but give a quick pin count to make sure (it's been a couple months since I installed mine).

Another good tip while you have dash apart - check the long, cylindrical "nut" that holds in the accessory power outlet on the lower portion of the dash. Mine actually fell off (years of vibration, I guess), so I merely cranked it back down and all is well.