Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Looking for an old post - ignition problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 07:25 PM
mxs
HCF Member
Default Looking for an old post - ignition problem

I'm trying to find a post from a couple of months ago, I thought it was posted by Sacs but I can't find it. [&:] It was about someone who replaced their ignitor 3 times before they figured out that there was actually some other problem. Anyone remember this??

Here's the deal: my family has another Civic, a '93 EX auto sedan. They've had it for 3-4 years and it's pretty beat up. I don't know the whole story but I think they said they have replaced the ignitor twice. My brother has the car, and now he's having trouble starting it again... unfortunately he's about 2 hours away, and he has no telephone. [:@]

On a related note: can one of the smart mods compile a list of things to check when your car won't start? Since the question comes up about once a day.

Old 12-06-2005, 07:49 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Looking for an old post - ignition problem

Well, I'm not sure exactly what post you are talking about, but it's most probably fuel or fire (obviously).

Why in tarnation would you need to replace the ignitor twice and the dizzy once in 3 or 4 years? What could be causing those failures?

Who the hell doesn't have a telephone?

Has he tested the spark? Can he hear the fuel pump engaging? What's it sound like when he tries it?

Old 12-06-2005, 07:55 PM
mxs
HCF Member

Who the hell doesn't have a telephone?
Yeah... [:@] my parents just call his girlfriend and leave messages with her...

I'm trying to get more details out of them about the problem. I just remember reading the post at the time and thinking "gee I wonder if that's the same problem that the trashmobile has?" but I didn't do anything about it. Now I want to know and I can't find the thread.

Old 12-06-2005, 09:26 PM
mxs
HCF Member

Ok, here's some more info from my dad:

Yes. I checked and tightened the battery connections a few weeks ago. They had worked a bit loose. The igniter was replaced in august 2004 and, before that, in early 2003. I'm quite sure that they just replace the igniter both times. The cost was around $180 both times. The car did have a major service/tune up ($900 including oxygen sensor) in 2002, which may have involved a new distributer, but I think all the info is in the car. I appreciate your help.
I know this is kind of a lost cause since I'm too far away to troubleshoot it, but if anyone has any ideas about what would cause the ignition to die twice in 2 years... post them here...

Old 12-06-2005, 11:57 PM
HCF Member

Plugs, wires, ground, fuel system? Kinda of a difficult situation to deal with. Have him bring it to mxs' garage...

Old 12-07-2005, 12:27 AM

ORIGINAL: mxs

Yeah... [:@] my parents just call his girlfriend and leave messages with her...

Better PM me with her phone number so I can help your bro out

JK, it may be the coil. When the coil is going out it has the same symptoms as the ignitor.

Old 12-08-2005, 11:21 AM
mxs
HCF Member

haha

But what could cause it to die 3 times in 3 years? There's gotta be something else going on. [:@]

Old 12-15-2005, 03:11 PM
mxs
HCF Member

Update: I talked to my parents a couple days ago, and they said he's been able to start the car by turning the ignition to "I", letting it sit for a minute, and then starting the car. I don't know why that works. They were going to take it in for an inspection this week anyway, so they were going to have it checked out there.

someone mentioned upgrading to an external coil here earlier today: https://www.hondacivicforum.com/fb.asp?m=137021
Do you guys think it would be worth it for them to upgrade? if the problem is the coil?