Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Loosing LOTS OF POWER

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 10:11 AM
Default Loosing LOTS OF POWER

i refuse to go to an acura forum because i feel comfortable on these ones.
I recently crashed my civic.. totaled it. But thats besides the point, i traded the shell and some extras for a 1996 Integra LS... It runs, so i can drive it but its slow.

I dont know whats going on, but when i give it gas, it creeps a long.. when i put the pedal to the floor it still creeps a long, shift to 2nd, same thing, 3rd, same thing. it has almost no power and takes forever to get to 60. whats going on? should i replace the head? what could be taking all the power out of the motor? or should i just buy a new LS motor all together.. i hope there is a cheaper alternative to this.

again, start the car, put it in first, it creeps along, RPM's can be at 5,000 and the car still creeps. 2nd, creeps, 3rd, creeps.. so on and so forth.

please help, i know this is a honda civic forum but i am a previous civic owner..

Old 08-20-2007, 10:32 AM
Default RE: Loosing LOTS OF POWER

sawp the motor for a gsr...

Old 08-20-2007, 10:39 AM

if i can i am going to fix the LS, i need help figuring out whats wrong with it.

Old 08-20-2007, 11:02 AM
HCF Member

check the usuals spark plugs air filter etc and if those arent it do a compression test u might have a blown head gasket

Old 08-20-2007, 11:04 AM
HCF Member

Is the throttle cable tight? lol

Old 08-20-2007, 11:08 AM

i believe so, can you list things that might be causing this problem so i can check them?

Old 08-20-2007, 11:11 AM
HCF Member

Timing could be off. Clogged fuel system, misfiring? Plugs are not gapped right? How does it run? Idle?

Old 08-20-2007, 11:15 AM

when i first started it when i picked it up, it was idling, then the RPMs would drop, then it would go back to normal, drop, go back to normal, drop.. for about 10 min, then it stopped and was normal. but i can get it up to 6000 rpms and still be creeping along.

Old 08-20-2007, 02:11 PM
HCF Member

how well does the car rev? if it rev slow, your throtte cable could be loose... so try opening the trottle manually from under the hood...There are a million things that could be wrong with the car... so unless you give some more specific info, I dont know how much we could really help...

Old 08-20-2007, 04:12 PM

it might be the timing. It happend to me not too long ago. I had the same problem but mine also backfired and the rpms would drop even when i floor it. If you can floor the clutch and then rev the car and it revs ok, but when you engage the clutch it starts to die then it might be the clutch. Hope this helps. I learned the hard way after spending alot of money on redoing my whole ignition system.

Quick Reply: Loosing LOTS OF POWER