Mechanical Problems & Technical Chat If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a check engine light that won't go away, ask about it here!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lost timing belt

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 09:23 AM
HCF Member

Alright, use a little heat on it, use a large and very thick socket to prevent breaking, and a lot of leverage to break it loose. lefty-loosey..

Old 12-22-2008, 10:10 AM
Recognized HCF Member

In my opinion, you should avoid heat as it may destroy the oil pump seal and cause other unwanted problems. Try renting a powerful (~300 ft-lb) electric impact wrench.

Old 12-22-2008, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by RonJ
In my opinion, you should avoid heat as it may destroy the oil pump seal and cause other unwanted problems. Try renting a powerful (~300 ft-lb) electric impact wrench.
I have a 550 ft/lb air impact and it had no effect.

Old 12-22-2008, 11:35 AM
HCF Member

A small bit of heat won't harm it, been doing it for years with no problems. And when I say heat, I don't mean full out torch it...lol

Old 12-22-2008, 12:58 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by CamperAndy
that thing must be extremely tight because I took mine off about two months ago and an impact gun took it right off, no problem. oh ya, a word of advice. Make sure you torque it down to specifications. I was being absent minded while putting it back together(not a good thing) and forgot to tighten it all the way and it fell off on my drive from the garage to the house. fortunatly its only a five minute drive so I just drove back and put it back on.

Old 12-22-2008, 01:20 PM
HCF Member

^ that's actually extremely common for the bottom pulley to fly off. I've known them to come flying off going down the interstate. You need to always remember to retorque them after a couple hundred miles, just like you retorque lug nuts.

Old 12-22-2008, 07:45 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by CamperAndy
Did you soak the bolt with PB blaster in advance? If not, do so and then try your impact wrench again. Should come right off.

Old 12-23-2008, 05:39 PM

Victory. I got the pulley bolt out by feeding 1/4" line down the spark plug hole until I could put no more in. Then when I turned the crank I came up hard on the line and was able to break the bolt free.

Replaced the belt and did a test run, drum roll please....... No obvious valve damage!!!

Replaced the water pump, timing belt tensioner, accessory belts, spark plugs and I am now back in business! Just need to change the oil and recheck the anti freeze.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Old 12-23-2008, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by Beretta
that thing must be extremely tight because I took mine off about two months ago and an impact gun took it right off, no problem. oh ya, a word of advice. Make sure you torque it down to specifications. I was being absent minded while putting it back together(not a good thing) and forgot to tighten it all the way and it fell off on my drive from the garage to the house. fortunatly its only a five minute drive so I just drove back and put it back on.
you didn't lose the woodruff key?

Old 12-26-2008, 01:49 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
you didn't lose the woodruff key?
nope. Its was jammed in place. I got lucky I guess.

Quick Reply: Lost timing belt